• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (91 Viewers)

Red Rumped Swallow showing well at East Park Hull again this morning 10 -10.30. Best viewed from the area accessed via East Park Avenue near the spalsh boat - at time showing down to 15 feet overhead.
Stuart

RFI - someone called J Birch reported a Hawfinch at North Cave Wetlands, East Yorkshire this afternoon at 4.30 pm - would really appreciate any info on record or contact details for J Bhirch - this is a significant record for the reserve so we would like more details. Thanks in anticipation, Stuart

Feeling a tad weary from cycling to Skipwith common today. I took a very long time to find a tree pipit but came across a single singing male just as I'd decided to make my way home. Other songsters were far more obliging though.:t:

Hi all

A bit of a bizarre request - I have been going through my old bird records checking out my life list and the one totally dodgy one that stands out is a sighting of a Cirl Bunting at Fairburnings on the 7 September 1986.

I was 11 at the time and fully expect that this was actually a female Yellowhammer. I cant find any records on the web in Yorkshire for the last xx years, but as a long shot, does anyone have any Yorks/Fairburnings bird reports from 1986 to finally put me out of my misery and put into motions a trip to Devon/Cornwall to see some!!!

Cheers

John

1 singing male at Bempton on 3rd June in '86. That's the only record for that year, the previous year there had been a female near Beverely, '83 male at Market Weighton.

Strid Woods

Had my first walk in Strid Woods today - I've never seen a pied flycatcher before, let alone photographed one. The light was poor but I did manage a few bird shots, which I've added, including a trophy shot of the pied flycatcher.
However, I'd love some advice on where the best places to go are for some bird shots. Today I parked at Cavendish and walked upstream on the left hand side of the river as far as the Strid, then when I got back I crossed the bridge and walked downstream as far as the gate where you first see Bolton Abbey. Am I walking the right places or are there better locations? I'd really like better shots of the Pied Fly, as well as Redstart if possible. What other species should I be looking out for and trying to photograph?
Many thanks in advance.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_9634.jpg
    IMG_9634.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9516 R.jpg
    IMG_9516 R.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9573 R.jpg
    IMG_9573 R.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9576 R.jpg
    IMG_9576 R.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9649 R.jpg
    IMG_9649 R.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 76
Had my first walk in Strid Woods today - I've never seen a pied flycatcher before, let alone photographed one. The light was poor but I did manage a few bird shots, which I've added, including a trophy shot of the pied flycatcher.
However, I'd love some advice on where the best places to go are for some bird shots. Today I parked at Cavendish and walked upstream on the left hand side of the river as far as the Strid, then when I got back I crossed the bridge and walked downstream as far as the gate where you first see Bolton Abbey. Am I walking the right places or are there better locations? I'd really like better shots of the Pied Fly, as well as Redstart if possible. What other species should I be looking out for and trying to photograph?
Many thanks in advance.
Tom

Start at Barden Bridge (if you get there reasonably early parking is free) walk towards the Cavendish on the left bank. Two weeks ago there were at least six Redstarts in the open area between the aquaduct and the beginning of the wood. As soon as you get into the wood start looking for nest boxes, with any luck you should see Pied Flycatchers in the first couple of hundred yards. If you dipped on the Redstarts earlier this first section also had a pair nesting last year.

Where the Wood Warblers are this year is another matter. Anyone seen any yet?

Graeme

Start at Barden Bridge (if you get there reasonably early parking is free) walk towards the Cavendish on the left bank. Two weeks ago there were at least six Redstarts in the open area between the aquaduct and the beginning of the wood. As soon as you get into the wood start looking for nest boxes, with any luck you should see Pied Flycatchers in the first couple of hundred yards. If you dipped on the Redstarts earlier this first section also had a pair nesting last year.

Where the Wood Warblers are this year is another matter. Anyone seen any yet?

Graeme

As above. When we were there last Sunday the biggest concentration of Pied Fly & Redstart was between the entrance to the woods & the Stone Hut on the left (downstream) bank. There were also a number of Spotted Fly on the opposite bank between the aquaduct and Barden Bridge parking area.

Richard

The RSPB reserve at Blacktoft is lucky enough to have what appears to be a breeding pair of Montagu's Harriers, only visible from the far eastern hide. They are usually very distant and I was lucky to see them yesterday for a brief period. The photos are very heavily cropped so not the best quality. Normally wouldn't report a sighting like this but it is well known about, the area the birds appear in is inaccessible and RSPB highlight the sighting on their website.

Attachments

• AR5T6896.JPG
    AR5T6896.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 128
  • AR5T6897.JPG
    AR5T6897.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 108
  • AR5T6880.JPG
    AR5T6880.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 134
  • AR5T6746.JPG
    AR5T6746.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 114
An abundance of Marsh Harriers at Blacktoft Sands yesterday.

Attachments

• AR5T6968.JPG
    AR5T6968.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 69
  • AR5T6990.JPG
    AR5T6990.JPG
    343.2 KB · Views: 64
  • AR5T6967.JPG
    AR5T6967.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 76
  • AR5T6668.JPG
    AR5T6668.JPG