• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks, 1st time here , been reading this topic on and off looking forward to my 2nd visit to Mallorca as of April 9th. My birding last year had to mostly happen during my kids naptime but I was still delighted with excellent views of marbled duck , blue rock thrush and the amazing " spotless " balearic spotted flycatcher !
I will be based in Cala Mesquida this year and my main goals will be Arta area , Cap de ses Salines and Salobrar de Campos. Will be glad to join a local birder on a birdingpal style ( cover for food/gas ) , so plse let me know !

Was also considering going out with a professional guide , any idea/feedback on this ?
Will def. mention what I find on this thread shortly...hope to finally catch on the Balearic warbler , I was out of luck with that one last year !

regards to all,
Fabrice

Arrived this afternoon at our P. Pollensa Hotel with a stonking cold. Me that is, not the hotel but still managed a some birding.
Only bird of note seen driving north was a hoope with vulture dots in the distance. Whilst parking car o/s hotel, 2 Ravens flew down the road at head height!
Audouin's gulls a plenty down the beach, striking poses for cheesy wotsits!

A brief trip to La Gola got gt white egret, common sandpiper and pair of stonechats. Being a Sunday the place was full of families which is fair enough but little to be seen. 1 swift sounded very much like a pallid swift but not in best fettle to resolve that issue.
Cheers, Brian

I'm here again with the group from the University of York and we've been seeing a few bits and pieces, though nothing too exciting. Yesterday we saw a rather early (I thought) collared pratincole at S'Albufereta, and a nice wood warbler among many willows at S'Albufera. Today I was mainly sweeping up inverts, but managed a flock of green sands and a heard only wood sand. Tomorrow I'm actually going to see some birds myself but if you spot the students knocking around feel free to ask them difficult questions- does them good! And Ilya, if you're around, do drop in!

That's the scops owl done. It was calling from large poplar tree next to a metal electricity pylon outside the Hotel Pollensa Park. . It bleated away for 30 mins like a metronome on beta-blockers before flying off to a tree on the sea front. This to the background noise of stone curlews squealing away like demented bagpipes!
Brian

S'Albufereta

Had pre-breakfast trip there. What a difference the viewing platform makes. Absolutely brilliant. I could spend a whole day up there. Got flamingoes, swamp hen, rc pochard, gadwall, shelduck etc etc. Loads off flava wagtails. Thought I heard distant spotted crake but don't know if that's poss here at this time.

Took some pics of Sylvia warbler which meantime I can't load onto system but if I had seen this bird at Cuber in May, I would be claiming a Moltoni's. Is this possible on 4 April?

Brian

Guide - Mallorca

Was also considering going out with a professional guide , any idea/feedback on this ?
Will def. mention what I find on this thread shortly...hope to finally catch on the Balearic warbler , I was out of luck with that one last year !

regards to all,
Fabrice[/QUOTE]

Fabrice - I visited in 2012 and was sorted out guides by a guy called Steve - Estebannic on this forum then. Do not now if he is still doing it - he was not available but I got two great guides and transport round the island, for a very reasonable price. They got me my target species and took me to places that I would have been unaware of - Mike can maybe advise if this is staill available. I would definitely recommend and will certainly use when I come back if they are still doing it.

Have a great trip

Stuart

Last edited:
Hi again from the La Gola laptop. First an answer to the question about the seafront works. It is now one way into town from the Alcudia direction, but it is not finished yet and may well take a long time to complete. The part from the road up to the Pollensa Park into town is done, but the bit south to Llenaire is a right mess, with very poor nighttime lighting, so be careful if driving. The buses are diverted inland via the bypass and then a detour into the Pollensa Park where there are new bus stops, and in the town centre the buses now stop in the Carrer Roger de Flor at the back of the Catholic Church. One good thing is that the 352 now has a standard half- hourly timetable which is much better than before. I met a German birder who has done the trip up to Cuber on the once daily 354, and she says it is possible to get on and off near the reservoir.
Back to the birds and after the excitement of Saturday,s Collared Flycatcher I have not got out much due to family commitments, but a Purple Heron at Can Cuarassa yesterday and 4 Flamingoes at Albufereta today were the highlights, with loads fo Swifts and hirundines showing that migration is ongoing.We are due some more wind and rain tomorrow, so that may bring us in some more good stuff.
The Scops Owl continues to be obliging, with good views the last two nights, and whilst on a trip to La Raixa (an old manor house near Bunyola- worth a visit) there was one calling for about a minute at 1430- the first ever I have heard in daytime. Hugh Matthews

Hi Fabrice. I am away in the UK from 7th to 21st April which is a shame as I would happily pick you up and go to the Cap de Ses Salines and then onto the salt pans. Next time maybe!
Steve ( Estebannic) may well be able to help, Hopefully he will respond on here. If not I believe there is a company called Mallorcanaturetours who I think tailor tours to suit all needs.
I hope this helps. Mike

Hi Malkoa, it's a difficult one. I believe a photo has been circulated for the locals to respond to and I will let you know the outcome. I believe this refers to the same bird. Normally, Sub-alpine warblers pass through the island first, followed by Moltoni's, some of which stay to breed, notably at Cuber and a few other places. I don't know if Sub-alpine breed here as well but I am making enquiries and will post. The problem is that they overlap so your bird could be either species, although most likely Sub-alpine. I will let you know. Mike

A couple of hours spent at a windy Cap de Ses Salines this evening produced very little, just a few Pied flycatchers, both male and female. Mike

Malkoa, I forgot to mention that Spotted crake is perfectly possible, in fact one or two were reported recently in the same spot. I hope someone gets a photo, they have become quite rare here. Keep looking! Mike

Thanx Stuart and Mike for your kind comments / feedback
hopefully there will be many more trips to come...will keep you updated with what I find anyway , cheers , Fabrice

Hi All. Manolo Suarez of GOB has identified my Sylvia warbler as subalpine. Clearly there is a lot more to identifying Moltoni's than a dull, pale pink throat. I'll post some pix when I return. Many thanks to Manolo.

Drove over to Arta, got 1 Thekla and 1 booted eagle at mast area. In valleys got crossbills & hoopoes with a peregrine perched on cliff face.

Had 10 mins at s'Illot and got RC pochard and 3 marbled teal along with usual suspects.

Also, revisited scop's owl site and saw & heard it calling again in front of Hotel Pollensa Park. Last, but not least, ticked Hugh at same site!

Brian

I come out to Mallorca on 23rd look forward to seeing some "good" birds.
Will be staying at Miramar in P.P. Hopefully meet some other birders from here
in Boquer of La Gola.

Can,t wait. Thought it might not happen. Hurt my knee early January.
just starting to get better. Manage mile walk for first time since Fen, on Sunday.

Gordon

La Gola, first light: green sandpiper, n wheatear and lots of willow warblers.

Mike, thanks for your comments on my sighting and soundings.

Brian

A couple of hours spent at a windy Cap de Ses Salines this evening produced very little, just a few Pied flycatchers, both male and female. Mike

Hi again from the La Gola laptop. First an answer to the question about the seafront works. It is now one way into town from the Alcudia direction, but it is not finished yet and may well take a long time to complete. The part from the road up to the Pollensa Park into town is done, but the bit south to Llenaire is a right mess, with very poor nighttime lighting, so be careful if driving. The buses are diverted inland via the bypass and then a detour into the Pollensa Park where there are new bus stops, and in the town centre the buses now stop in the Carrer Roger de Flor at the back of the Catholic Church. One good thing is that the 352 now has a standard half- hourly timetable which is much better than before. I met a German birder who has done the trip up to Cuber on the once daily 354, and she says it is possible to get on and off near the reservoir.
Back to the birds and after the excitement of Saturday,s Collared Flycatcher I have not got out much due to family commitments, but a Purple Heron at Can Cuarassa yesterday and 4 Flamingoes at Albufereta today were the highlights, with loads fo Swifts and hirundines showing that migration is ongoing.We are due some more wind and rain tomorrow, so that may bring us in some more good stuff.
The Scops Owl continues to be obliging, with good views the last two nights, and whilst on a trip to La Raixa (an old manor house near Bunyola- worth a visit) there was one calling for about a minute at 1430- the first ever I have heard in daytime. Hugh Matthews

Hugh
Many Thanks for latest heads up on road works and bird sightings.
Hope the next weather front drops some nice birds down for you.

Bob

A grey drizzly start to the day may bring some more good birds down Bob, thanks.
I am going to the tower, Albercutx, tomorrow morning and then on to Maristany and Albufereta so I hope to bump into some of you. Good birding to all! Mike

Hello!
this morning what we (Ilya and I) think is a Western Subalpine Warbler.
Sometimes difficult to know which one is, but Moltoni´s have been observed these days, too.
Be aware on the translation of the Latin-English names because, nowadays, it can be confusing. And here, local birders use latin names more than common ones.
Taken by website surfbirds:http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/subalpine13/main.html
Following Svensson, this now leaves the taxonomic situation:-
• Western Subalpine Warbler: Sylvia inornata inornata and S. i. iberiae
• Moltoni’s [Subalpine] Warbler: Sylvia subalpina
• Eastern Subalpine Warbler: Sylvia cantillans cantillans and S. c. albistriata

Ilya has pictures much better than mine ;)

Attachments

• cantillans_La Gola_petita.jpg
    cantillans_La Gola_petita.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 123
  • cantillans_La Gola_petita2.jpg
    cantillans_La Gola_petita2.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Hi Rach
There's some mention of it here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=280478&highlight=bus+cuber
there are other threads, found using the Search thread box with "bus Cuber".
Martin

Hello Rach and sorry of being late :(
Thanks Martin for the provided information.
On the TIB website you can dowload the current timetables of BUS 354,the one which stop in Cúber.
http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/354

The BUS 445 is the one to Artà, but also just one in the morning and come back in the afternoon. And from Artà town (Bus stop at Avenida Costa i Llobera) you need to walk some km to Llevant Natural Park.
http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/445

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back