• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (2 Viewers)

Publications for sale in La Gola

Happy to report that in the Center of La Gola (Port of Pollença) we have several publications for sale.

- Mallorca Birding Map (in English) with the 75 best birding points, when to go and what to see.
- A Birding Tourist’s Guide to Majorca with seventeen itineraries each one with map and the best information to enjoy a day of birding. We have the second edition in English and the first German edition.
- Ornithological Yearbook of Balearic Islands 2015, volume 30 (In Catalan- with English abstracts). Interesting items like the yellow-legged gull (Larus michahellis) and the breeding population in the Balearic Islands or Robin (Erithacus rubecula) colonization in Mallorca and Menorca. Brief notes with information about the find of a horseshoe whip snake (Hemorrhois hippocrepis) in the stomach contents of the grey heron (Ardea cinerea), about the new colonization of common buzzard (Buteo buteo) and the wintry count of acuatic birds, waders and gulls in Balearic islands this genuary. Sightings of rare birds in Balearic islands in 2015, the 25th report of rarities committee and the list of approved records with great photos. Ornithological news of 2015 are summarized in the 12 months of year and systematic list of sightings in 2015. A great publication that thirty years ago we already have. Soon we have the english edition but in digital version.

https://www.facebook.com/1261151841...115184103029/1085961674785037/?type=3&theater

Now available the birdlist, that have been seen in La Gola the first 15 days of august ,on the website you can download it there.

http://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

Regards,

Lupe

Many thanks Martin, you could well be right but I couldn't be certain from the poor quality photo. I attach another one which may be a bit clearer. My friend has a video so I will watch it next time I see him. Mike
Hi Mike
Have a look at horseshoe whip snake, which Chrisina has mentiond. I'm away using my battery for access so the on-screen image of the snake is very dark. It might be a possibility.
Martin

Thank you Lupe for all the information you give, very much appreciated.
Martin, I think that's nailed it, horseshoe whip snake looks most likely. I'm not sure, but I have always associated Viperine with marshy areas and where the photo was taken is the driest part of the island with no water for miles around. I will pass the information on to him, many thanks.
The Broad-billed sandpiper is still present this morning.
Mike

The Broad-billed sandpiper is a first for the Balearic Islands. As it is overcast and rainy, I doubt it will migrate overnight tonight. Mike

I thought August was supposed to be the quietest month but still the rare and scarce birds come with a Marsh sandpiper at Salobrar de Campos. On my way home from there I spotted a young Roller on a post nearby, a very early record for return migration. Mike

A passing helicopter put up all the Flamingoes at Salobrar de Campos this morning. Seeing over three hundred in the air was magnificent. Mike

The Roller is still at the same location, in the field on the left just before going into Colonia Sant Jordi. It is by the last roundabout before the petrol station coming from either Salobrar de Campos or Ses Salines.
Also the Slender-billed gull is still on the salt pans, Colonia Sant Jordi. I believe it is a first calendar year bird.
Not much at Salobrar de Campos, most of the small waders have moved on now, just a couple of Little stint, Dunlin and Ruff. Also a Water Rail showing well as they often do at Salobrar. Mike

I thought August was supposed to be the quietest month but still the rare and scarce birds come with a Marsh sandpiper at Salobrar de Campos. On my way home from there I spotted a young Roller on a post nearby, a very early record for return migration. Mike

Marsh Sandpiper is a beauty of a find no matter what month!

The Roller is still present today for its third day, quite a long stayer for Mallorca.
No other news but there will be migration watching at the Cap this weekend so I will post all sightings. Mike

Six or seven Alpine swift through the Island today. Also one migrating Marsh harrier so the raptors are on their way.
The Roller is still present near Colonia Sant Jordi.
Large concentrations of Turtle doves along the south coast so no doubt they are departing. Good numbers are here for the summer which is encouraging.
Flaming hot here, it will be nice when a cool breeze returns.
Mike

One of my Facebook friends has just posted pictures of a Citrine Wagtail that he found today on a marsh near Alcudia - not sure how rare it is on Mallorca

One of my Facebook friends has just posted pictures of a Citrine Wagtail that he found today on a marsh near Alcudia - not sure how rare it is on Mallorca

It is a MEGA rarity, only 4 have been seen since there are a control of rarities in Balearic.
Do you have a link to the pictures?
Thank you

Citrine Wagtail

Pep

Nick hasn't replied yet but sure he won't mind me showing his picture - can you see this?
Stuart

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 97
Pep - the location from Nick is as follows

Take the track just north of Lidl supermarket to view the marsh. Near Alcudia Hidropark.

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back