• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What delights you about birding? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

A rather glum thread entitled "What irrates you when birding!" has garnered quite a few postings. So, for those of you of a sunnier disposition, what delights you about birding? I take it as read that it's the birds and associated wildlife so, like the aforementioned thread, focus on the human element. Some on the other thread have opined that the postings there would incline an independent observer towards the view that, collectively, we birders are a miserably lot. Now we'll see which is true based on which thread accrues the greater number of postings ...... John o:)

Can't see this one being the popular one . . .

Just look at the negativity vs the positivity threads in RF . . .

EDIT: And yep, I do realise the slight irony in raising the post count with this negative post ;)

Last edited:
Just look at the negativity vs the positivity threads in RF . . .

QUOTE]

Which, being the optimist I am, is why I thought I'd start the thread. Mind you I had a bet on with myself that the first posting would be negative ....

Actually, there's far more to celebrate in birding than there is to mourn. Folks putting you onto that difficult bird, strangers motioning you to look through their scope as you arrive, out of breath, at a twitch, people turning back to help you search for that elusive rarity, the co-operative calling of birds on a seawatch, birders spending time with beginners to help them improve their skills, discussing ID with your peers, the delight of showing someone a lifer and, dammit, the people themselves - there are always exceptions - but most birders are pleasant types. Doubtless some curmudgeon will protest at my unwanted 'sycophancy', but how many would be as competent a birder as they are without the cheerfully given help of others? John

The unlimited plethora of ways one can approach their birding on the whole or at the moment acording to your mental or physical state.

Anyone can do it, whenever, however and wherever they want to. Birds are indiscriminate and always oblige whilst minding their own.

My mind is saying a lot but I am just too tired to type it.

The fact that every day brings the possibility of a new find to add to my list. Makes getting up each day that much more worthwhile.

Which, being the optimist I am, is why I thought I'd start the thread. Mind you I had a bet on with myself that the first posting would be negative ....

:t:

Seriously, down to basics, surely it has to be . . . the birds. o:) *

Plain and simple. Whatever negatives you encounter, however you felt before you left the house, watching something as simple as the house martins swooping in the evening light above the rooftops, or a young blackbird clumsily moving in the undergrowth is just, well, great. ;)

*(We need a 'lil birdie emoticon thing, methinks . . .)

You never know what you will see where and when. you could turn the corner and find a first for Britain thats what I love about Birding!

The utter surprise on people's faces when you suddenly jump up and start pointing at some barely visible blob.
The atmosphere at a local twitch.
Going to some very weird places.

surprise is one thing, but also just the simple pleasure of watching birds everywhere. Just been looking out of the window and watching the swifts gathering - love it.

Its the fact you never know what you will see and encounter, not just rare birds but common birds behavouring differently etc..And you never switch off from it! Even going to the local shop you listen and observe..

The reward of a good bird on your local patch and seeing others enjoying it....even if they are pagerists:-O

Days out on the north Norfolk coast, always having something to do, somewhere to go and never getting bored doing it!!

Traveling around, meeting other birdy folk!!

Matt

I too enjoy the atmosphere at a local twitch. all us patchworkers are busy finding and passing on information of rarities and Yes it is nice for us all to meet up at a twitch. the banter and chatter is like no other hobby I know of.

An example to illustrate:

Watching a Peregrine eyrie through the scope from a public path. A group of walkers comes along, stops and asks what you are looking at. You tell them and ask if they would like to see for themselves. The pure joy on their faces and the opportunity to indulge in a constructive conversation with people who immediately become interested in the subject is worth its weight in gold.

Admittedly, the interest might be short-lived but for that short time its great. And, who knows? A longer term interest might develop.

cheers
Gordon

The lift that an unexpected bird can give - like the flock of Crossbills that flew over yesterday while I was gardening.

The places birding has taken me to, weird and otherwise.

As some of you know I am very new and 'green' on birding. Like others it is the birds doing different things [or not different for the experienced but new and different for me] that catches the breath and interest.

For this week it was seeing that my Leucistic tit had babies to feed:eat:. Catching the woodpecker at the feeder with a good photo including his tongue and all in focus:-O. Watching the swallows dive bomb the cat :cat:and approaching magpies but putting up with me in the barn.

But what has really made it for is finding this forum and the generosity of others in helpiing me identify the most basic of birdie stuff without the sarcasm. I also love to follow the quizzes -not up to entering yet, although I did get the buzzard the other day.

I agree, positivity is the order of the day here... :)

Though I have always been a lover of birds, I am a total newbie to birding 'with camera', but I love it, I really do.

As to your thread, what is it that delights me... hmmm... I guess it's the fact that I can enjoy nature at its very best, I can enjoy the solitude (though very much a family man, it is in my nature), and to enjoy the peace, quiet and 'noise' of the wonderful world we live in through the beautiful medium of birds.

OK, a tad philosophical, but in my humble opinion, true nonetheless.

For me it is that any one can enjoy biridng, any where! From 2 to 102 birds can bring joy, for able or disabled, male or female, black or white we can all enjoy it.

A special note for those grumps in the hide at Cley tonight, yes any age should be encouraged to love birding!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back