• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mobbing (1 Viewer)

cateyes

Hello

Recently i have been sing a LOT of birds mobbing crows they seem to fly up to the crows heads and nail them in the head IN turn the crow tryies to fly away What is the cause of this? and what birds normally do this? I saw something very strange today also! i saw a single crow by itself chasing and attacking a red tailed hawk! the hawk also was trying its best to fly away im suprised the hawk didnt try and attack and kill the crow! any information would be great. thanks :eek!: :h?:

Hi Cateyes,

It is all to do with nest protection - Crows take the eggs of small birds, and Red-tailed Hawks will raid Crow nests. So in each case, the smaller bird is trying to drive the larger away from its nest

Michael

ohh but the thing is gulls are nest robbers also arent they? well we have lots of ring billed gulls here and never once have i seen them being attacked by smaller birds

Hi Cateyes,

Yes gulls do rob nests, but not of small birds - gulls don't go into the dense cover where small birds nest.

But if you watch birds like terns whose nests are at risk from gulls, they will mob gulls very fiercely.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back