• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for a newbie (1 Viewer)

Alan G

A couple of question for a newbie, if you will please.

I've just made my first attempt at digi-scoping and, although not bad for a first attempt, the clarity of the photos could be better.........a lot better !

I'm currently using an Opticron HR66 scope with a Fuji Finepix A203 - hardly an ideal set up, I appreciate, hence why I'm posting these questions:

Can someone advise whether I should update the camera or the scope first (I can't afford to upgrade both just yet) ?

If it's the camera first, this begs the following questions:-

1) What does the Nikon Coolpix 4500 give me that the cheaper Nikon CP cameras won't (I like the look and the price of the Nikon CP 5200, for example) ?

2) Will upgrading to the 4500 give me noticeably clearer photos when used with the HR66 scope?

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Alan

Alan G said:
I've just made my first attempt at digi-scoping and, although not bad for a first attempt, the clarity of the photos could be better.........a lot better !

You haven't posted any examples, so this is pretty speculative. It it very possible that you can improve your results using the equipment at hand.

The scope is not the ED version which is preferred for digiscoping. The camera is ony 2MP. If I were to upgrade, I'd upgrade the scope first - assuming the camera was giving me unvignetted images and I was getting the full use of its sensor. A better scope will last you a long time and has multiple uses. I don't think cameras represent as good of a long term "investment". They lose value more quickly and probably can't be expected to last as long. OTOH, new CP4500s are getting scarcer every day. So it might be nice to nab one while they are around.

So frankly, it depends mostly on your personal priorities. If you are OK with somewhat lower resolution images , then there may be no compelling reason to even consider upgrading the camera.

Post an image and lets see if we can help you improve results with what you've got. Then when/if you upgrade, you may be better prepared to get the most out of the new gear.

Alan G said:
A couple of question for a newbie, if you will please.
I'm currently using an Opticron HR66 scope with a Fuji Finepix A203 - hardly an ideal set up, I appreciate, hence why I'm posting these questions:
Can someone advise whether I should update the camera or the scope first (I can't afford to upgrade both just yet) ?....................
Alan,
I have used a HR66 for a few years, and have been very happy with it.
But we all strive for something better, and it is mostly restricted by what we can afford. Look at thread www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=21077
"Digiscoping with the Opticron HR66ED" for some details/info. re this 'scope.

Roger

Thanks for the advice so far.

And, as requested - I've attached a photo of a Green Sandpiper thru the Opticron HR66 using the Fuji Finepix.

Can you ascertain (that's my big word for today) whether the Coolpix 4500 would improve the quality?

I'm guessing yes, as I've seen better quality HR66 images on the gallery thru the Opticron?

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Green Sandpiper, Hollywell Pond, 8th August 2004(1).jpg
    Green Sandpiper, Hollywell Pond, 8th August 2004(1).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 265
Hi Alan,

Here's a picture of a Greenshank for you through my HR66ED with the Coolpix 4500. I do have a few Green Sandpiper shots but they're not good enough to put on here!

Your sandpiper picture certainly shows that your set up is capable of delivering a bright image - could it be a combination of practice & experimentation is needed to get better results? Not bad for your first attempt anyway!

I'm still frustrated with my results sometimes (more often than not to be honest) and that's why I'm thinking of getting an adaptor, although they're not exactly cheap, esp. if you're considering changing scope/camera.

I've also attached a really frustrating picture of a Beeeater taken on holiday in Spain (this is the best one out of about 20+ shots taken over several days!

Meanwhile, I'll get practising some more myself....

Attachments

• BFBeeeater.jpg
    BFBeeeater.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 256
  • BFGShank IMF.jpg
    BFGShank IMF.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 216
I've got a HR 66, and I've just bought one of the last,as i was told, Nikon 4500. I'm just practising at the moment in the garden, the results been satisfactory for me, my problem is getting the rigth setting for the camera!!! I've made my own adapter, as they are rathe expensive.

Attachments

• P.major1.jpg
    P.major1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 252
2Meg camera

Hi Alan

You may noy read this as the thread is getting on a bit but here are my thoughts just in case you do.

Do not be too quick to dump your 2Meg camera. As long as the image is not too small it should give you pretty good images. I have attached some below that I took with my Coolpix 2100.
I found one of the most important factors is the distance of the camera lens from the eye piece. If you have a good quality adapter you should be fine. I use a piece of 1.5" push fit waste pipe, as shown, and took some time to get this distance correct. This removed vingetting (questionable spelling).

Spend time in your garden or outside taking pictures of plants/flowers. They stay where they are while you refine your skills.

Also, using a bit of zoom on the camera helps remove vingetting. But I still get a bit frustrated with the resolution from time to time.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 228
  • goose.jpg
    goose.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 231
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 236
Alan G said:
Can you ascertain (that's my big word for today) whether the Coolpix 4500 would improve the quality?

The image is very soft and shows some purple fringing around the wing. You don't mention your camera or scope settings, so it is difficult to say whether you could get better results with your current setup or not.

I don't think a CP4500 would not improve this image any. It seems pretty likely that this image is soft due to either the optical quality of the scope or due to significant overmagnification - or perhaps both.

The image can be improved a little bit with some Photoshop work, but I think you should be able to get better results that this with your current gear.

Attachments

• Green Sandpiper.jpg
    Green Sandpiper.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 220
Hi Alan,

I own an Opticron ES80 and originally started digiscoping with a hand-held Fuji 601 camera.

I did manage to get some OK record shots with this set-up (see example below) but found it very difficult to locate the subject whilst handholding the camera up to the scope (and wiggling it about!) plus camera shake was a real problem.

In January, I updated to a CP4500 and found it much easier BUT IMO you do also need an adapter to attach the camera to the scope, an extend-a-view monitor shade and a remote shutter release facility. All this adds considerably to the base cost of the camera.

In my experience you can get results with a properly mounted CP4500 that you would not be able to achieve with a hand-held Fuji (see example 2) but you still need to be prepared to send a high proportion of your shots to the re-cycle bin!!

Question that you need to ask yourself, is does the improved quality justify the financial outlay....

Turning to the scope... I think the HR66 is a good scope, but people do say that you really need a large objective lens for optimum digi-scoping (78-80mm)

I guess, on balance, my advice would be to buy up a CP4500 before they're all gone and shell out for the ancillary bits as well. In order for this to be a worthwhile investment though, you do need to have quite a serious interest in bird-photography (as opposed to just birdwatching) as it is quite a frustrating hobby that will burn your money!!

Good luck anyway, whatever you decide!!

Rgds... Ruby

Attachments

• Goldfinch 2 - Reculver - 17th January 2004.jpg
    Goldfinch 2 - Reculver - 17th January 2004.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Goldfinch small.jpg
    Goldfinch small.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 242
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back