• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Martin disappointment (1 Viewer)

david2004

I have two single House Martin nest cups, one at the front of the house and one at the back.

There are plenty of House Martins on my estate. It is only five years old and they colonised it. Each year they seem to nest closer and closer to my house and they returned a few days ago.

This time they were feeding and hawking for insects much closer to my house, and directly over it. I wondered if they would nest on my house this year. I would have been ecstatic if they did!

But I noticed tonight that they are building nests in the EXACT locations of last year.

A few questions:

1. Is it possible that they will nest on my house this year, even though some are already rebuilding nests?

2. Will they nest in new locations, and not where they did last year e.g. my house?

3. Is it too late for them to start new nests, e.g. on my house, even though nest building is being started (where it was last year) and they've been back a few days?

Thanks.

Bad luck David, I can't really answer your questions, but I too would love House Martins to nest and thought about some of the cups, but my place is a bungalow, and I think it would be too low for them to feel safe. The HMs only arrived here last week, so I would think they are still building nests here, maybe they still might use your house, fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks songbird. It really would be great to have summer migrants nesting, wouldn't it? Oh well. Maybe next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back