• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your 2018 Optics Plans (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Along the lines of the recent 2017 Optics Year in Review thread, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread for members to post what they are thinking for their 2018 optical adventures.

Possible topics are:
- Planned purchases.
- Optics that have your interest and you would like to look at this year.
- What you may sell this year.
- Possible viewing experiences (trips) or shows planned for 2018.
- Any other optics plans for 2018.

Feel free to use any format or structure that works!

Keep in mind this thread will be here come December 2018 and we can all come back and see how you did! ;) I know what I did for 2017 was not much like I was thinking this time last year.

Happy New Year!!!

----------------

Ok, let me get it started.

Planned Purchases: There is nothing on my mental list right now. The closest is the Zeiss FL 8X32. I had a chance to look at one last summer for the first time in several years and I forgot how nice it is. I like the idea of top tier optics in such a small and light package. If Zeiss does discontinue it this year and there are some good closeouts, then I suspect the temptation will to great and I will bite.

On the Radar: Without doubt, the first would be a new release of a Zeiss Victory 8X32. Being a big fan of the SF 8X42, I would have to give a new Victory 8X32 a serious look. Realistic, this may be a 2019 item.

Rumor has it that Leica may beat Zeiss and come out with a Noctivid 8X32 this year. If so, then that would be something to check out. The new classic Trinovid is also on the want to see list if it does become available.

Another rumor is Nikon will be expanding the Monarch HG offering. Having picked up one of these in an 8X42 and really liking it, I would definitely check out any 8X32.

One that is out and I definitely want to see is the new Swaro CL companion in the 8X30. It is less likely I would buy it even though it looks to be excellent. I have been leaning toward small and lightweight in the 30mm class and the FL comes out ahead there. If I were to go larger, I would probably want to go all out with a new Victory or Noctivid. I ready will not know until the time comes. This could be one of those "What would Chuck do" moments! If so, then I am toast.

I do not own a pocket model and so I would like to see the new Zeiss Victory pocket in an 8X. I did briefly look though the Zeiss pocket Terra 8X and it is a possibility but I thought it would be best to wait until checking out the Victory pocket.

One other optic on my must see list is the new Zeiss Harpia spotting scope coming out soon. It sure looks great on paper so we shall see if Zeiss was able to get it together for real use. The big downside is the price. That one would be difficult to justify.

Sales: As I buy new models, I have more that just do not get used anymore and I really should sell some of them. There just are not enough outings in a year to get good utilization out of all of them. Some of these need to find a new home. Of course I was thinking this last year but did not do a lot about it. It is a lot easier to buy than it is to sell!

Trips: No special trips are planned. Hopefully I will do the usual of hitting the local riparians and the mountain areas this summer. The Crane Festival in New Mexico is a possibility and then I usually make a day trip to the expo at the Tucson Festival. There is a Crane show in Willcox, AZ this month so it may be worth a day visit. Chip representing Opticron should be there.

Other: Try to find the time to improve my technical understanding of optics.

That is all I can think of at the moments so let's see what ideas we can get from other members.

I'm not suffering, so I can be patient, but I'm always alert for a possible replacement of my Zeiss 8x56 FL as my main birding binocular. The only real candidate now is the Swarovski 8x56 SLC, which I will try to evaluate sometime this year, as I wait for any other contenders to appear.

The other item on my list is a large aperture waterproof birding scope, something I've searched for unsuccessfully for a few years. If Kowa were to come out with a 95-100mm Fluorite scope this year that would be a probable purchase, if I could find a cherry specimen.

Last edited:
Bruce I agree with you that the 8x42 Victory SF is wonderful and an 8x32 Victory would be fantastic. I wonder if it will / would be as compact as the 8x32FL however? I recently passed on a well priced 8x32FL and am kicking myself. For my eyes and preferences it's handily the best 8x32 and if a new Victory is larger it will be a tossup.

I wish the Ultravid 8x32 had more eye-relief, it's also excellent and so compact. Also agree about the quality of the Monarch HG 8x42 and think an 8x32 version would be very interesting.

I also recently bought a Monarch 7 8x30 to see how I get on and to use as a pseudo-pocket. If it goes well enough I might give a more serious try to an 8x25, probably the Zeiss again as I really dislike the double hinge designs.

Cheers and feliz año!

I have sold two of about 30 binos I need to get rid of. They were not purchased but taken in trade for repairs and collimation. Twenty-eight more need to go. I don’t need them and can’t eat or wear them. In addition, they would make for a lumpy coffin.

I have a pristine 8x32 Superior E that will do me the rest of my life with an 8.5x44 Swift Audubon to fall back on if it doesn’t.

Realizing that if each talked about “improvement” in binocular production equaled an honest ¼ percent improvement from 1955 until today, today’s average binocular would be totally free of aberrations and would let the observer see events 3 days before they occur. Further, understanding that so many of the improvements folks profess to see have their origins in inexpert opinions and physiological accommodations—as opposed to opto-mechanical realities, I think I’ll use my SE ... or 7x42 Habicht, or 10x40 Trinovid, or 8x40 Zeiss Conquest (should any of those fall into my lap) and be happy with the view, saving the money for a year’s worth of eating out. But, that’s just me.

Bill

PS I know I always sound like a broken record on the subject. In addition, I don’t at all mind opposing views—I’ve reared 3 to adulthood (chronologically, anyway). I just like to pour a spoonful of reason into the mix every so often.

Bless all and Happy New Year!

Honestly, though unbelievable as it may seem, I've settled with what I have. I passed on my old man's Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 B/GA to my son last year due to total lack of use.

- Planned purchases. I'm having my eyes on a Meostar 12x50 HD. Can't say I need it, but David's review suggests it is one of those few binoculars that really stand out. In a distinguished company of the EDG II 7x42, the E II 8x30 and the ergonomic wonder (the Meostar 8x32), it makes some twisted type of sense to get the 12x50.
I may or may not buy another medium or full-sized scope. Perhaps a 60 mm MM4 or a Fieldscope EDIIIA.
It's a long-term, low intensity project that might as well just cool down and be forgotten. Maybe a superzoom camera instead.
Might consider a Kowa YF 6x30 to use in the kayak. Not in a hurry with that.

- Optics that have your interest and you would like to look at this year. Nikon Monarch HG.

- What you may sell this year. Possibly the Zen-Ray 7x43. It has seen too little use to justify the ownership. But it's good to have it at hand at my workplace.

- Any other optics plans for 2018. Not necessarily in 2018. I'm gravitating towards replacing some scope use with a superzoom camera, mainly for ID purposes when on the go, like lunch break birding or some cycling where the 12x50 together with the superzoom could be more versatile in open landscapes near the sea.

//L

I've got more than enough stuff already, so I don't really plan buying a lot more this year.

I'm also quite unhappy reading (and hearing) about the problems some of new roofs seem to have like uneven focusers, diopter shift and so on. These seem me to indicate that even the alpha manufacturers have got QC problems on their hands, and that's pretty much unacceptable given the prices they charge for their products. Far too many new models seem to be bananaware nowadays - they're put on the market, and the customers have to sort out the production and, in some cases, design flaws.

That said, I'm slowly getting used to the idea that I'll be able to retire in a few years time, and then I'll do a lot more birding in the mountains. So I'm in the market for a light, smallish roof - 8x30, 8x32 or 7x35. My 25 year old Leica 8x32 BA doesn't really cut it anymore. So I'll be looking at the Swarovski 8x30 CL and the Leica Trinovid 7x35 when they finally arrive in the shops. I'll also look at a Noctivid 8x32 and any new 8x32 Zeiss makes, even though nobody seems to know for sure if and when that will happen.

Scopes - no thanks, I'm still quite happy with my Nikon Fieldscopes (50mm, 60mm and 82mm) and the old Zeiss Mono 20x60.

Hermann

Bruce:

Nice topic, I have no plans at this time, but I suppose that can change.

I like to shop for lightly used binoculars, and get to try some new models.

Jerry

If the planets align and I find I have a spare weekend, and if that happens to correspond with a great deal, I may just possibly jump on a Nikon 10x42 MHG, or a Swarovski 10x32 SV, though I am rather torn ......... I can't see myself getting rid of the fantastic Zen-Ray 8x43 ED ---- and I really don't want to become one of you weird bino collecting folk ! :D :hippy: :bounce: 3:)

If I'm totally honest, I'm really not satisfied with any of the offerings .... :cat:

I plan on winning Lotto and designing and having made my own range of bins ! :t: :king:

Chosun :gh:

I will probably get the new Swarovski CL 8x30 B. I want to compare it with my Pentax 9x32 DCF BC, to find out if it has a rumored "Optical Box" like the one in the Pentax which I can use without getting black outs when I place its eye cups back around my eye sockets. The Pentax is the only binocular that I have ever been able to use in that manner without experiencing black outs. I have to brace all of my other binoculars against my brow ridge on my eye brows to avoid blackouts

Even if it doesn't have this "Optical Box" I will probably keep it because it has a wider FOV than my wife's Swarovski CL 8x30 Companion.

Bob

Last edited:
More new, more better?! I picked up a 7x35 Rangemaster last year, it’s displaced my ageing 12x36 Canon IS bins as my main bins (unless I don’t want to bring the scope... an ageing 66mm Astro refractor fitted with a baader zoom or Nagler eyepiece).
Looking to purposely go after some butterflies this year, so recently picked up a 6.5x20 Pentax Papilio (also to serve as the “always in my pocket” bin). Now I have a few extra “spare” pairs of bins, mainly serving as “use these, keep yer fingers off mine” for other family members, though I might need to get rid of one or two as the “binocular cupboard” is now having trouble closing. All the best for some great birding trips in 2018.

PeterW

Though I'm more than happy with my Swaro 8x32EL at the moment, the much mooted Noctivid 8x32 may prove to be a temptation too far, who knows!? The race between Leica and Zeiss to put out an 8x32 wouldn't be an issue to me as I wouldn't consider the Zeiss after a 10x40BGAT let me down catastrophically in Nepal 30 years ago; yes, I have a long memory and bear grudges!

RB

Last edited:
I have no plans for new binos at the moment but we are planning 4 long trips this year instead of the usual 3. Dropping France off the list of destinations opened up more funds for the UK.

We plan to expore a few more brackish water sites in East Anglia and then follow up last year's otter behaviour observations in 3 sites in west Scotland.

Steve C suggested a 10x50 / 8x32 combo could be useful and like the idea of trying this out at East Anglian coastal marshes. I might even try a bino harness for the 10x50.

Lee

... I might even try a bino harness for the 10x50.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Out of interest, what sort of harness were you considering? I made an ultra-lightweight shock-cord harness a-la Rick Young for use with my Swaro 8x32 and it works a dream. Just how effective/comfortable it would be with a much heavier 10x50 I'm not sure. If you're interested I'll PM the design/parts list. It's straightforward to make in about 20 minutes and works out at a fraction of the cost of the Rick Young harness :t:.

RB

Hi Lee,

Out of interest, what sort of harness were you considering? I made an ultra-lightweight shock-cord harness a-la Rick Young for use with my Swaro 8x32 and it works a dream. Just how effective/comfortable it would be with a much heavier 10x50 I'm not sure. If you're interested I'll PM the design/parts list. It's straightforward to make in about 20 minutes and works out at a fraction of the cost of the Rick Young harness :t:.

RB

I went a bit loco at Bird Fair 2015 and acquired a Zeiss harness intending to use it with a Conquest HD 15x56. I have used it twice and it works OK but my reluctance to use it more is because I always carry a backpack with not only shoulder straps but also chest-strap and waist belt and on the latter have at least one and often two camera holsters. I feel trussed like a Christmas turkey without a harness underneath. Nevertheless I haven't give it a fair try so I plan to take it to Suffolk and give it some use. Your home-made one sounds an interesting variation and I thank you for the offer. If the Zeiss doesn't work out I will come knocking on your door. Many thanks for your kind thought. :t::king:
Lee

On the radar: a new Zeiss binocular rangefinder
Interested in: Leica Trinovid 7x35, Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42, Pulsar Helion XP

Last edited:
I look forward to a small bin with hoge FOV
Perhaps a Zeiss 8x32 will soon be on the market
Meanwhile I enjoy using my NV and SV as well

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back