• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Shrike-Thrush? Central Australia (1 Viewer)

Paalo

Is this Grey Shrike-Thrush? Photo taken a couple of hours drive east of Alice Springs in August.

Attachments

• Grey-Shrike-Thrush.jpg
    Grey-Shrike-Thrush.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Grey-Shrike-Thrush1.jpg
    Grey-Shrike-Thrush1.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 60
What about this one from the same trip. Ended on Southern Giant Petrel, but could be Northern GP. Photo taken on Kangaroo Island, late August.

Attachments

• Southern-Giant-Petrel.jpg
    Southern-Giant-Petrel.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi, Yes, this is the 'Western' Shrike-thrush, Colluricincla harmonica rufiventris, with the buff undertail coverts.

Very difficult. I downloaded the photo and blew it up - there may be a very faint orange tip to the bill, which would make it Northern, and there is a hint of black on the forehead, which is also Northern. But I wouldn't guarantee it!!

Paalo
Western Shrike Thrush edge of range which also could be Grey shrike thrush but this one is a Western.
The Petrel looks like a Southern not a Northern due to the leading edge of the wing being light. A better picture of the bill would confirm with the northern having a reddish tip to it.

Thank you for the clarification.

The Petrel photo is cropped, as the bird was flying distant from land (seen at Admiral Arch, on the western tip of Kangaroo Island). So I am afraid I don't have any better pictures of the bill. I was actually surprised to find a Giant Petrel close to land. Do you often spot them from shore in Southern Australia?

Paalo

Not to often Paalo they are usually out on the edge of the continental shelf. In Victoria that's about 40miles out

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back