• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PAcific Golden Plover or American golden Plover (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Taken In Westernport Bay Victoria 19 Nov I took this photo of some Pacific Golden Plovers. The one central in the picture though has a bolder, longer Supercillum than the others and I am wondering if it could be an American Golden Plover.

Attachments

• DSC_5390.jpg
    DSC_5390.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 174
It could well be. From what I can see, the primary projection is quite long, almost as long as the tertials. Compared to the Pacifics, their primary projection seems much shorter. Also there appears to be a dark patch on the upper back and dark cap with no yellow in the nape. All good for American.

I would say it's very difficult to judge from this image. The bird is slightly more advanced into breeding plumage than the others, which is one reason for the supercilium appearing more prominent. The primary projection (which should be reliable) is very difficult to judge because of the angle of the bird.

Structurally it looks very similar to the other birds (eg leg length), and my impression is that it's another Pacific GP.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back