• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The next Alpha technology - electronics will be the next frontier for alpha glass (1 Viewer)

If only that same wisdom would keep pineapple off pizza.........

Lee

PS Nice line Bill!

Thanks, Lee:

I saw my first pizza with pineapple shortly after moving to the “left” coast. I thought, “What idiot wants pineapple on his pizza?” Not long after that, I was helping a friend move and his wife had bought boxes on Hawaiian pizza. I was hungry, so I decided to choke one down. Humm? ‘Interesting combination of flavors. Many times since, I’ve ordered one; I find it mild on the belly. At my age, that’s a good thing.

I went to a nice restaurant near the locks in Seattle and found they put glazed walnuts on their salad. once again, negative thoughts. After that, when I would go to a steakhouse I would ask the server if they served anything with glazed walnuts. if they replied “yes,” I would ask that they put some on my salad.

Sometimes, we should try new things—key word ... TRY. :cat:

Bill

I can't deny I would love to put on a pair of goggles like the one described by the original poster. I wouldn't need or even really want the identification features, but being able to see, with the field of view of your own natural eyesight, a stabillized image of the same quality that current alphas give you, with selected targets zoomable even to say just 20x or so ... would be unbelievably amazing. It'd be the closest thing to seeing like a peregrine (except they have two foveas per eye, so can track more than one target!).

Unfortunately a lot of the tech has simply not reached that level of maturity. Even IS, which is relatively most advanced, has (arguably) not yet been packaged into something with the ergonomics, weather resistance and longevity that serious birders demand. The difficulties in create an integrated package such as dwever describes, that meets those requirements, are considerable - I'd hesitate to say they are insurmountable, but I'm not sure many of us will live to see something like that become reasonably affordable. I hope I'm wrong though!

I'd be happy just for IS to be improved in compactness and durability, and for the possibilities of technologies like plastics and metalenses to be properly explored. I personally think it would be great if there were breakthroughs in technology such that binoculars priced like today's Aculons or Kowa YFs could offer alpha or near alpha performance. :cat:

Last edited:
Boomers are the generation born to the WW2 generation, pure and simple. It has nothing to do with sentimental cultural touchstones.
I'm completely confused. My parents were born in the twenties/early thirties. I was born in 1962. What am I? We didn't have a post-WWII 'Baby Boom', we had a continuous baby boom for hundreds of years (thanks to RC Church) until birth control became legal in the 1980's. And my kids are in their teens/early twenties. Is all the generational categorisation a scam to create fault lines where none existed, in order to distract us from the 'real' fault lines?:eek!:
Like, divide/conquer, or set the indigenous tribes against each other?

Sancho:
As mentioned above the US baby boom was from 1946-1964, and this was a post period of WWII.

There was a large population growth then, when servicemen returned from war. I was born in 1955
after the Korean war, my father was a veteran of that war.
So, not all countries have a similar baby boom as in the USA.

Jerry

Thank you very much for that clarification, Jerry...you are a gentleman. So, if I were Anerican, I would indeed be a late baby-boomer. And because our babies boomed constantly, many of them indeed became Americans (lots of my cousins ending up in Queens). Kids I teach now who I think are 'millennials' are far more tolerant and understanding than we were, but also seem far more anxious, or at least express their anxieties more. Things change so quickly nowadays, though, i fear they will be 'very old' by the time they're twenty-five!!!

I'm completely confused. My parents were born in the twenties/early thirties. I was born in 1962. What am I? We didn't have a post-WWII 'Baby Boom', we had a continuous baby boom for hundreds of years (thanks to RC Church) until birth control became legal in the 1980's. And my kids are in their teens/early twenties. Is all the generational categorisation a scam to create fault lines where none existed, in order to distract us from the 'real' fault lines?:eek!:
Like, divide/conquer, or set the indigenous tribes against each other?

Hello Sancho,

I like your thought processes.

The general population has always been brainwashed and distracted from the real issues facing this world.

Independent thinking has always been discouraged , fear of non-acceptance is a very powerful driver.

Sorry for the off-topic thoughts.

Cheers.

Imagine in 2026 your Alpha Leica’s have instant hyper accurate AF, advanced multi-axis image stabilization, ...

For binos only two (rotational) axes of stabilisation (out of the six freedoms physics defines movement within space) are fully sufficient for their stabilisation. All other rotational or translatorial movements being irrelevant.

In Leicas museum at Wetzlar there is a prototype of a stabilised bino, the further development of which got stopped by the then top management. This gives an idea, how innovative this industry might be...

HW

Beware false prophets and false gods.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the pineapple-free pizza, and it was good.

Lee
Lee,

You should take a leaf out of Bill's book (not literally ! that would be blasphemy ! :) :eek!:

Believe only 1/10th of what you hear, half of what you see, but go to town with what your belly tells you ! o:D

For I have supped of the Holy pineapple - and yay verily it was good ! :eat: o:) Thou shouldeth get off ye horse and buggy and get on board the pineapple express lest thou doth turn into a pillar of salt ! :t:

Chosun :gh:

Lee,

Believe only 1/10th of what you hear, half of what you see

Hmmm. I think I covered this with 'beware of false prophets'.

I like duck with orange or apple sauces. I like beef or lamb with mango sauce.
But pineapple on pizza does not light my bonfire, tickle my tonsils or send shivers of delight up and down my anything.

Lee

Huh? How many boomers are in the workforce? 64-74 years old? 1945-1955.
It's not their world, it's subsequent generation's world. Do what you want.

So at what point does it cease to be a person's world? They tried that argument in politics. It is surely as much an older person's world as anybody else's.

A fascinating discussion and one ideally suited to Ruffled Feathers.
In the meantime: back to binoculars..........

Lee

So at what point does it cease to be a person's world? They tried that argument in politics. It is surely as much an older person's world as anybody else's.

I deleted my previous response as it's been pointed out they were either too off topic or too provocative, or both. And, that's OK.

I'll just say, Seldom, that I agree with you.

Last edited:
A fascinating discussion and one ideally suited to Ruffled Feathers.
In the meantime: back to binoculars..........

Lee

Aaaww...!!!
Just as this thread was getting fun... :smoke:

I love it on this forum when a thread gradually goes OT. One learns so much about one's fellow forum members. :king:

For myself, I'm a bit of a Luddite, and have a deep-seated conviction that binoculars ought not to require batteries, nor contain any other technology that can spontaneously leak or significantly degrade to cause them to cease to function or be irreparable in years to come. From this standpoint, my Swarovski ELs are just about acceptable... ;)

I have a pair of Zeiss Jena Deltrintems from the mid 1950s, and as far as I can see, they have never been taken apart for interior cleaning - and they barely need it - their interior is almost as clean as many of my binoculars from the last decade (and a good bit cleaner than some I've had). They are built from materials that have lasted over 60 years without significant deterioration. even the focusing is smooth and easy (good engineering and quality grease, I guess). Aside from the lack of multi-coating and modern fluorite-rich glasses, the optics are pretty darn sharp, and the view is very satisfying.

I have to concur with Bill (WJC) that things haven't come as far in the last 60 years as the advertisers might lead us to believe...

That said, my Swarovski ELs do delight me every time I look through them.

We can decry technology all we want. We can say the technology is not there, or that it has already been tried and failed. Technology will advance (likely for as much evil as good) and it matters not one hoot what we think about it. The younger people have grown up with it and will continue to demand it. They are a growing segment of the population, older folks are declining.

I further opine that it won't be what we would readily identify as a recognized brand to do it (with some sort of new fangled optical contrivance or another) either.

I have always had the opinion that the job of a marketer is to make us think that buying their stuff was really our idea. I therefore find myself in agreement with Bill's position. ;)

We can take comfort in the notion that the current glass lensed optics we have are about as good as they are are going to get. Yet another reason to give way to more technology.

Last edited:
We can decry technology all we want. We can say the technology is not there, or that it has already been tried and failed. Technology will advance (likely for as much evil as good) and it matters not one hoot what we think about it. The younger people have grown up with it and will continue to demand it. They are a growing segment of the population, older folks are declining.

A portion of younger people are using Film cameras now and even buying vinyl records. When Millennials are older some (or many?) may continue to use non-electronic binos just like the ones we use now. If some of them are using film cameras then it makes sense they make keep 'old fashioned' binoculars around too.

https://www.keh.com/blog/why-millennials-are-using-film-cameras-vs-digital-cameras/

As a general point, I was not advocating removal of traditional binoculars. I plan on keeping mine. Yes, not everyone will fully embrace the digital trend. What that percentage will be , who can say. Digital optics these days are about the same point of comparative technology as Galileo's telescope.

This thread is really funny ! 3:)
It's giving me a good chuckle to read the highly amusing grumblings of all the horse and buggy drivers and other living 'fossils' :-O

Never mind whether we will have 'analogue' or 'digital' optics, or a choice or both :cat: There will be much bigger fish to fry ...... :eat:

Honestly, baby boomers, and other 'old' people, I think you'll be lucky - very very lucky, if the youngsters don't turn you all into Soylent Green ! :eek!:

This thread is really funny ! 3:)
It's giving me a good chuckle to read the highly amusing grumblings of all the horse and buggy drivers and other living 'fossils' :-O

Never mind whether we will have 'analogue' or 'digital' optics, or a choice or both :cat: There will be much bigger fish to fry ...... :eat:

Honestly, baby boomers, and other 'old' people, I think you'll be lucky - very very lucky, if the youngsters don't turn you all into Soylent Green ! :eek!:

If you know what Soylent Green is ... you might be getting old ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back