• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green winged teal (1 Viewer)

RonClark28

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of the green winged teal that's at Brandon Marsh just now. It arrived on 13 May and was still there showing well today from the Carlton Hide.

Ron

Hi Ron. It's still being reported by all the info services every day.

A few people now think that the female teal it has paired up with is also Green winged.

Hi Jason,

Bluetail said:
Are there any accepted records of female Green-winged yet?
I'm not aware of any, but the BBRC chucked GWT off the rarities list several years ago, so it isn't easy to find out. I can't think many county recorders would relish the prospect of being the first to accept one, either!

Michael

An apt thread seeing as I thought it time to pop down to my local reserve this afternoon. I had seen a G W Teal a few weeks ago in Northamptonshire but decided to see if I could get any photos of one today. I did manage to get one shot which included the female but it's not a good one. If I had known that there was a possibility that there would be a chance that it was a female G W Teal i would have taken more photos of it. I can tell you that the male was displaying to it if that makes any difference.

Following are a few photos I managed to get. The bird was about 100 yards away on the furthest bank of the 2nd pool from the Carlton Hide.

Attachments

• Green winged Teal 1959.jpg
    Green winged Teal 1959.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Green winged Teal 1954.jpg
    Green winged Teal 1954.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Green winged Teal 1950.jpg
    Green winged Teal 1950.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Green winged Teal 1964.jpg
    Green winged Teal 1964.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Green winged Teal 1962.jpg
    Green winged Teal 1962.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Following are a few photos I managed to get. The bird was about 100 yards away on the furthest bank of the 2nd pool from the Carlton Hide.

Now I'm wondering if you are the guy I spoke to one of the t'ther hides yesterday who let me have a look at his C4500 digiscoping set up. Was it you by any chance?

Ron

Oh well, hopefully we will meet there some other time.

BTW I was at Brandon between 15:15 & 17:45 on Sunday and most of that time was camped in the Carlton Hide. Got good views of a Cuckoo and managed a few distant shots plus a few half decent shots of a whitethroat that kept on landing on the bushes near to the hide.

RonClark28 said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of the green winged teal that's at Brandon Marsh just now. It arrived on 13 May and was still there showing well today from the Carlton Hide.

Ron

Hi Ron

I'm puzzled over this Green winged teal thing, I've looked though all my books and cannot find it but I've seen reports of them over the last few years. I finally thought of Google and it reported the green winged teal as an American bird otherwise known as annus crecca and showed pictures which to me looked very much like a common teal. Then when I looked in Collins to compare, that gives the name of the common teal as annus crecca as well and pictures which were the same as the american version, could sombody please put me out of my misery over this confusion please.

Hi Bill. Green-winged Teal used to be just the American race of our Teal, but was "split" as a full species two or three years ago. Whereas our male Teal has a horizontal white stripe along its side, the American male has a vertical one at the front of the flanks (and the cream/yellowish stripes on the head are much fainter too). The females are to all intents and purposes indistinguishable in the field (though not everyone would agree - a paper detailing subtle differences was published a few years ago).

Reader said:
Oh well, hopefully we will meet there some other time.

BTW I was at Brandon between 15:15 & 17:45 on Sunday and most of that time was camped in the Carlton Hide. Got good views of a Cuckoo and managed a few distant shots plus a few half decent shots of a whitethroat that kept on landing on the bushes near to the hide.

We were there much earlier than that, and were actually at home by the time you arrived. We did see the cuckoo from there last Tuesday though, so that is perhaps one of its regualr 'stopping off points'. Jan and I like to sit there in the Carlton hide even if there's no birds to be seen, it's so peaceful and quiet there that we can happily sit there for several hours ... or would do if I didn't keep getting hungry :h?:

Ron

Hi Ron

I'm puzzled over this Green winged teal thing, I've looked though all my books and cannot find it but I've seen reports of them over the last few years. I finally thought of Google and it reported the green winged teal as an American bird otherwise known as annus crecca and showed pictures which to me looked very much like a common teal. Then when I looked in Collins to compare, that gives the name of the common teal as annus crecca as well and pictures which were the same as the american version, could sombody please put me out of my misery over this confusion please.[/QUOTE]

yo Bill ... you've founder so long last :bounce:

I'm please someone has been able to answer your questions, they have given a better version of weather was told on Sunday.

I've got your other e-mail sitting waiting to answer and will do so later today.

Ron

anyone know why the female is suspected A. crecca carolinensis? Any other reason than it is apparently pairing with the male?

Surely couldn't be a case of ducks hybridising instead......? That would be very unusual ;) - - Quick, someone knock up a note to BB.

Bluetail said:
Hi Bill. Green-winged Teal used to be just the American race of our Teal, but was "split" as a full species two or three years ago. Whereas our male Teal has a horizontal white stripe along its side, the American male has a vertical one at the front of the flanks (and the cream/yellowish stripes on the head are much fainter too). The females are to all intents and purposes indistinguishable in the field (though not everyone would agree - a paper detailing subtle differences was published a few years ago).

Thankyou for that, it sorts things out in my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back