• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip report: Malaga and Seville region 03/05/2014 - 10/05/2014 (1 Viewer)

NAB

This was primarily a holiday with my wife and friends; however I did manage a couple of days dedicated birding. Our base for the holiday was the delightful village of Benahavis with its excellent choice of restaurants.

Benahavis area:

Initially I managed a couple of early morning walks from the village, with the best route being to follow the track from behind the football pitch, upstream along the rapidly drying river bed. You basically follow this path until you reach the dam at the small reservoir; birds encountered enroute included Hoopoe, Bee Eater, Spotless Starling, Cetti's Warbler, Serin, Booted Eagle, Cirl Bunting and both Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

As you approach the dam, take the footpath to the right, which runs by a small stream and is boarded by deciduous trees. Birds encountered here were more reminiscent of the UK and included Robin, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch and Blackbird. Eventually the path forks and you take the left hand path across the stream. Here I was greeted by 2 freshly fledged and minuscule young birds and before I even contemplated assessing a safe distance to view, an adult Firecrest appeared and proceeded to feed both birds, and this no more than 6 feet from where I was standing - Awesome!

Once you cross the stream the track heads uphill and the habitat changes to scrub with the occasional pine and cork oak. This area proved to be good for Nightingale, Crested Tit, Sardinian Warbler and Rock Bunting. As you continue along the track you eventually come to some small farm buildings and a meadow containing a lone cork oak, which held a Spotted Flycatcher and a singing Willow Warbler. From here follow the track down to the small reservoir, which held a Little Egret, 2 Little Ringed Plovers and a Common Sandpiper. Where the river runs into the reservoir you then take the road back to Benahavis where again I encountered 2 Rock Buntings just before entering the village.

Ronda area:

This was primarily a non-birding day; however I did sneak my Leica compacts into my pocket just in case. Viewing from the top of the famous and spectacular gorge was most rewarding and birds seen included: Blue Rock Thrush, Lesser Kestrel, Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, nesting Rock Sparrow and lots of Choughs! Following the required sight seeing, horse and carriage ride, bullring tour and lunch, the ladies in the group decided that they wished to be taken to the cheesy blue smurf village at Juzcar (apparently the last Smurf movie was filmed here). Despite my objections (and it was crap) this road proved most fruitful and my only brief birding stop produced singles of Tawny Pipit, Griffon Vulture, Spectacled Warbler and my first lifer of the holiday by way of Black Wheatear!

Osuna (in search of Great Bustards):

Friends safely dropped off at the airport the night before and time for some serious birding. My choice was a two-hour drive to Osuna (Seville region), which was spurned on by the following trip report and which proved invaluable:

http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/1/post/2011/09/seeing-great-bustard-in-andalucia.html

We arrived at our destination before 10:00 AM, following the map and directions as described, it soon became apparent that I was searching for a needle in haystack, which wasn't helped by the well-grown crops and increasing heat haze! The first few stops only revealed good numbers of Gull-billed Terns, Whiskered Terns and Collard Praticoles, hawking insects over the vast fields. Again referring to the above link/map, by turn/vantage point 'E', I'd mostly given up hope, but then I scoped it, an awesome male Great Bustard (lifer) distant and hazy but no mistaking it! Soon another came into view, followed by 3 more (2 males and 3 females in total) and as the cloud cover increased slightly, the heat haze reduced with the views becoming even better!

From here we followed track 'E' to a bend where we scoped the roofs of some derelict farm buildings on the left, to reveal 3 Rollers (my wife's fav bird) and 6+ Lesser Kestrels! A Short-toed Eagle also showed well above. Both Little Owls and Turtle Doves were also encountered. From here we doubled back and again followed the main track near to point 'F' where we encountered a stunning close quarter Black-shoulder Kite (lifer) perched on a nearby fence post! Soon after we also had 'up close and personal' viewing with good numbers of both Black Kites and Griffon Vultures which circled low over the road side cattle fields. Other birds common in the area included Montagu’s Harrier, Red-legged Partridge, nesting White Storks, Iberian Grey Shrike, Fan-tailed Warbler, Crested Lark and Corn Bunting.

Regarding the bustards, I feel that we were incredibly lucky and if I was to return to this area again, it would be earlier in the spring when the crops are still sprouting and also as early in the morning as possible. Finally don't get confused by the new high speed rail line as mentioned in the above link, as the foundations and bridges are in place but no tracks have been laid (a capital expenditure project on hold perhaps?)

Sierra de las Nieves (Los Quejigales):

This site is near Ronda and appears in the Where to watch birds in Southern Spain (3rd edition) and has a site reference of MA10, Access point A.

Ignoring the directions in the book, my first stop was less than a kilometer into the park and I parked on the left by a concrete drinking trough. I followed the track uphill on foot, but you can only go maybe a kilometer in distance as two high gates block further access. None the less this was a very productive area and birds seen included: Black Wheatear, Black-eared Wheatear, Thekla Lark, Wood Lark, Dartford Warbler, Rock Bunting and good numbers of Western Bonelli's Warblers which where singing from all sides. On the way back to the car I also disturbed a Wild Boar and 6 piglets, which dashed off into the undergrowth!

On returning to the car, I headed to the main car park at Los Quejigales (9KM). Despite the large car park, I was the only visitor present and in the area immediately around the car park and by a small stream, I encountered several Crossbills, which were bathing in the stream, as was a Melodious Warbler. From here I ascended the path towards the summit and this area was particularly productive with bird song everywhere which included Common Restart, both Common and Iberian Chiffchaff (if my hearing was correct?) Western Bonelli's Warbler, Rock Bunting, Wren and Mistle Thrush. Once you get above the tree line the scenic views are breathtaking and here the inevitable Griffon Vultures where also seen along with a couple of Booted Eagles.

At this point I would have really liked to have pushed on further to look for Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush; however as I'd promised my wife that I'd be back by early afternoon, I'll have to save that one for next year.

Regards,

Neil

At this point I would have really liked to have pushed on further to look for Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush; however as I'd promised my wife that I'd be back by early afternoon, I'll have to save that one for next year.

Neil

There has to be a reason to come back, Neil!

Very nice birding and report, congratulations.

Thanks Luis, for next spring we have since booked a joint trip to Extramdura followed by a return to the Malaga region, so I will be back as Los Quejigales really captured my imagination!

Regards,

Neil

Nice little itinerary, Neil, a taste of what can be had in a relatively small area. That part of Western Andalucia, further North to Extramadura and down to the Cadiz region has so much to offer..........and then you have to return to here:C

John Cantelos' site, which you highlighted, is the font for up to date info and he's put a lot of time and effort for no financial gain in order to post the info.

Laurie:t:

Thanks Neil for the plug for my site/blog - I'm pleased that my notes encouraged you to visit the area, but I'm absolutely delighted that, in football parlance, you got a result! Sharing the info knowing that it will bring fellow enthusiasts such pleasure is what it's all about and what motivates me. Incidentally, the high-speed AVE line has now been abandoned making the redundant bridges probably the most expensive birding watchpoints in Spain!

The link you gave is a little outdated and more recent updates can be found on my blog at
http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/cadiz-birding-blog-page/previous/2 (March 2013)
and more recently still ...
http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/cadiz-birding-blog-page (May 2014)

These notes have, of course, been incorporated in the latest (June 2014) update of my birding notes (free to download from my website - see below) - thanks too to Laurie for his kind comment. It's a labour of love so is its own reward, but knowing they're being used and found useful helps!

Last edited:
I never leave home (for Spain) without it John (an uploaded copy of yr latest report that is!)

As for bridges - i was amazed at how many unfinished edifices were inland in Portugal last year when we travelled by coach from Lisbon to Castro Verde and elsewhere. I seriously thought of doing a blog 'Unfinished bridges of Iberia';)

Roll on Tarifa:eek!:

ATB Laurie:t:

I never leave home (for Spain) without it John (an uploaded copy of yr latest report that is!)

As for bridges - i was amazed at how many unfinished edifices were inland in Portugal last year when we travelled by coach from Lisbon to Castro Verde and elsewhere. I seriously thought of doing a blog 'Unfinished bridges of Iberia';)

Roll on Tarifa:eek!:

ATB Laurie:t:

Hope to see you there (i.e. Tarifa), Laurie - just look out for an opinionated, grumpy birding ex-teacher and his petite non-birding wife! You are, of course, always welcome to pop into Alcala to visit us (although most of the LKs will be long gone!)

Haha - that just about describes me altho the bride is not what i call 'petite' she is still of 'manageable' proportions;)

The plan is to spend a couple of weeks in the area after flying in to Malaga, this will allow for any Levanter conditions during which we will bugger off elsewhere for a couple of days as i found i could'nt do much after an early morning 2/3 hours around the fields above Tarifa. I will, hopefully, be instantly recognisable with my Black folding Brompton.

Looking forward to it whatever the weather, good birds, good weather and good food and B :)

Laurie:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back