Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Score 1 to the Whales

Old Thursday 9th March 2006, 14:44   #1
NIK III

Smile Score 1 to the Whales

Hi All
Someone has just passed me a clipping from the Times 4/3/06. It seems that Sperm Whales in Alaska are outwitting the fishermen. They have worked out that the sound of the fishing boats engines means a ready meal. They dive shallower than normal and wait for the change in engine noise which indicates that the catch is being winched up. They then move in and take the fish off the long lines leaving the fishermen with just lips. The behaviour is being researched by the University of Alaska but they have not yet figured out how to outwit the whales. We hear so much about how much damage long line fishermen do to the wildlife. I thought it was rather nice to hear how the wildlife is getting the better of the long line fishermen.
Roy.
Old Thursday 9th March 2006, 15:48   #2
Ruth Daniel

Thumbs up

Hi Roy,
Nice story,I always like to hear about nature getting one over us humans!!lol!!
When my husband was sea fishing last summer I was watching Gannets and Dolphins out in the bay all afternoon catching loads as the Mackeral were running but.....not a bite for hubby!!!!
Best wishes,
Old Thursday 9th March 2006, 18:00   #3
Ross Hunter
The two things that matter in life are the 2 B's Birding and Bill Oddie

Brilliant i love success storys with wildlife more often than not it is bad like the whale in the thems or something nearly extinct ( amur leopard)
Old Sunday 12th March 2006, 00:54   #4
Cathy H
Cathy H

Talking

Hi roy,

That's like the story I posted a while ago - local fishermen were wondering why they weren't catching any fish. They didn't realise the seals were watching them from out in the loch, and scaring away the fish. Love it!!!!

Cheers
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: