• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Locations to Bird within Sequoia National Park (1 Viewer)

Matt_RTH

This will be my second time there but focused mainly on bears and caves last trip. This time I want to do some birding. Do you have any recommendations for good birding spots within the park? Sequoia/Kings is a huge place, so any suggestions appreciated. Preferably relatively short walks (< 2 mi) as I will be with family.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I went to Sequoia for the first time in June, not the best time to bird..but I did find that the area around Horse Camp to be pretty nice. There is a large meadow and the tree line around the meadow was fairly productive. Horse camp is actually in the National Forest area, just north of the park if I remember correctly. We camped there, since it was cheap/free? (don't remember). Anyhow, as we were there only half a day, I would definitely listen to what other people post. Notable for me were a white headed woodpecker, williamson's and red-brested sapsuckers, and a clark's nutcracker. They might be everyday birds for people in Ca, but don't ever come to GA...also be sure to pick up a bird list and talk to the rangers and the visitor center.

Well, since it's later in the season - I'd suggest staying up in Mineral King. I worked there 3 years. Earlier (March) I'd say stay in the foothills - Potwisha Camground. Later (June) I'd go for King's Canyon - worked there too ----- Cedar Grove or Grant Grove - birding in the canyon for Cedar Grove and Big Stump for Grant. In Mineral King now there will still be migrants and hikes for higher species ----

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back