• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swap EL8x32 for EL8.5x45 advice please (1 Viewer)

popeye67

Hi guys, I am mulling over changing my Swaro EL8x32 bins for their 8.5x42 bins and welcome any advice or thoughts from folks who have used both and/or swapped between them.

The 8x32s are the latest Pro model, but like many others I suffer dreadfully from the glare issue. This is a bigger issue for me than most as I am currently joining the Coastguards and will be spending a fair bit of time looking out to sea and, of course, on bright days that issue becomes a lot worse.

I also find the 8x32s a little narrow in the barrel, preferring the larger feel (but not weight) of an 8x42 size.

Has anyone one out there used both and swapped from one to the other? Is it worth my considering changing (I would have to add £1k or thereabouts to the deal and that is a fair bit of brass for anyone's pocket)?

Also, as a wild card should I be looking at Swaros'SLC8x42 for a slightly softer image?

I have read the other threads surrounding this issue, but there are so many folks with different views it is hard to tell.....and frankly I'm confused by the very many technical arguments :)

As you wrote, „there are so many folks with different views“....

There is only one safe way to decide this: you have to try both the EL and the SLC YOURSELF!

(I love both, and I personally would swap the 8x32 for the 8.5x42 if I were you and if weight and size are not the primary concerns)

As you wrote, „there are so many folks with different views“....

There is only one safe way to decide this: you have to try both the EL and the SLC YOURSELF!

(I love both, and I personally would swap the 8x32 for the 8.5x42 if I were you and if weight and size are not the primary concerns)

Hi Canip, thank you. Swapping them does seem to be the most sensible option, I'm being cautious as it would be an expensive swap for me. It's just shame I get the glare issue on the 8x32 :)

Hi guys, I am mulling over changing my Swaro EL8x32 bins for their 8.5x42 bins and welcome any advice or thoughts from folks who have used both and/or swapped between them.

The 8x32s are the latest Pro model, but like many others I suffer dreadfully from the glare issue. This is a bigger issue for me than most as I am currently joining the Coastguards and will be spending a fair bit of time looking out to sea and, of course, on bright days that issue becomes a lot worse.

I also find the 8x32s a little narrow in the barrel, preferring the larger feel (but not weight) of an 8x42 size.

Has anyone one out there used both and swapped from one to the other? Is it worth my considering changing (I would have to add £1k or thereabouts to the deal and that is a fair bit of brass for anyone's pocket)?

Also, as a wild card should I be looking at Swaros'SLC8x42 for a slightly softer image?

I have read the other threads surrounding this issue, but there are so many folks with different views it is hard to tell.....and frankly I'm confused by the very many technical arguments :)

Sure! Give it a try! Both the SLC 8X42 and the SV 8.5X42 are viable options. I'd sure give the SLC a shot. It's a little larger and a little heavier than the SV 8X32 but not as large/heavy as the SV 8.5X42. Yes it's not sharp to the edge as the SVs are but otherwise an overall great binocular.

Below is a pic of all three.

Attachments

• IMG_0695_1.jpg
    IMG_0695_1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 265
I think you would prefer the larger exit pupils of the 42mm binoculars over 32mm bins when you are at sea.

Bob

Last edited:
I would swap them if you are having glare issues with SV 8x32 if you don't mind the bigger size and weight of the 8.5x42 SV. I had glare issues with the SV 8x32 but not everybody does. The 8.5x42 SV has less glare, easier eye placement and it is brighter especially in low light than the 8x32 SV for me. The 8x42 SLC is very nice and is smaller and lighter than the 8.5x42 SV but if RB doesn't bother you I would prefer the sharper edges of the 8.5x42 SV.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back