• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (3 Viewers)

Lee,

A little off topic but have always been wondering if you have found one more ergonomic (in the hand & to the face & focus adjustment (but not speed)) than the other between the 8x33 Genesis and the 8x32 Conquest HD?

CG

I just read your review again Lee--very well written. The high contrast, CA control, and telecaster focus wheel are sounding pretty good. I just hope they'll work for me and my picky blackout prone eyes/face.

Thanks for your kind words Jack. I hope they work out for you.

Lee

Lee,

A little off topic but have always been wondering if you have found one more ergonomic (in the hand & to the face & focus adjustment (but not speed)) than the other between the 8x33 Genesis and the 8x32 Conquest HD?

CG

Hya CG
Yes there is another difference but it is one that some might call trivial. Conquest's armour is very smooth, you could call it silky or super-luxurious, and yet it is not slippy. The Kowa feels very different in the hand because there is a very fine granular texture to the armour that feels just as high class but totally different. In a dark room and wearing a blindfold you would just need to touch these two with a fingertip to recognise which was which.

This is not an 'operational' difference like optics or focus speed but it does give both of them a distinct 'character'. For example after using FL 8x32 which has armour with distinct bars of rubber over its surface that hark back to the armour on the old Dialyts, the smooth Conquest was a shocking change.

The other thing that springs to mind is that the feel of the focus wheel is quite different since the Kowa's is knurled metal and feels to me just like the tone and volume knobs on my Fender Telecaster, totally different from the bars on the Conquest's wheel. No other bino I have tried has a a focus wheel like this, so this is another detail, that together with its armour texture gives the Kowa an individuality.

These kinds of differences don't influence the performance of Conquest and Genesis, as such, but they are like those little quirks of character that make one friend different from another, and in a subtle but nice way means that a day out with either of them is different from a day out with the other.

One last point. Conquest and Kowa both have cylindrical optical tubes which is perhaps a modern trend driven by increasing eyepiece diameters to achieve more eye relief and field of view. Zeiss's FL 8x32 and indeed Meopta's delightful B1 MeoStar 8x32 both have optical tubes that flare out a good deal down to the objectives giving a quite different shape and feel in addition to differences in feel caused by the armour.

Is this too whimsical or philosophical a way to think about binos? I don't think so. Going back to the analogy of human friends, when you meet you shake hands briefly and this might be the only time during the day that you touch your buddy. When you are using binos, there they are in your hands for hour after hour, you are kind of 'shaking hands' with your binos all day. What they feel like matters.

Well CG, I bet you got more than you bargained for there, but if you had something more specific in mind then get back to me.

Lee

Last edited:
Hya CG
Yes there is another difference but it is one that some might call trivial. Conquest's armour is very smooth, you could call it silky or super-luxurious, and yet it is not slippy. The Kowa feels very different in the hand because there is a very fine granular texture to the armour that feels just as high class but totally different. In a dark room and wearing a blindfold you would just need to touch these two with a fingertip to recognise which was which.

This is not an 'operational' difference like optics or focus speed but it does give both of them a distinct 'character'. For example after using FL 8x32 which has armour with distinct bars of rubber over its surface that hark back to the armour on the old Dialyts, the smooth Conquest was a shocking change.

The other thing that springs to mind is that the feel of the focus wheel is quite different since the Kowa's is knurled metal and feels to me just like the tone and volume knobs on my Fender Telecaster, totally different from the bars on the Conquest's wheel. No other bino I have tried has a a focus wheel like this, so this is another detail, that together with its armour texture gives the Kowa an individuality.

These kinds of differences don't influence the performance of Conquest and Genesis, as such, but they are like those little quirks of character that make one friend different from another, and in a subtle but nice way means that a day out with either of them is different from a day out with the other.

One last point. Conquest and Kowa both have cylindrical optical tubes which is perhaps a modern trend driven by increasing eyepiece diameters to achieve more eye relief and field of view. Zeiss's FL 8x32 and indeed Meopta's delightful B1 MeoStar 8x32 both have optical tubes that flare out a good deal down to the objectives giving a quite different shape and feel in addition to differences in feel caused by the armour.

Is this too whimsical or philosophical a way to think about binos? I don't think so. Going back to the analogy of human friends, when you meet you shake hands briefly and this might be the only time during the day that you touch your buddy. When you are using binos, there they are in your hands for hour after hour, you are kind of 'shaking hands' with your binos all day. What they feel like matters.

Well CG, I bet you got more than you bargained for there, but if you had something more specific in mind then get back to me.

Lee

Thanks Lee!

Don't fence me in, being outside the lines, and off the canvas are all aok with me...

One of these days I'm going to get my hands on (eeehhmm around) the Kowa!

Till then I subsist on your reviews :egghead:

CG

Thanks Lee!

Don't fence me in, being outside the lines, and off the canvas are all aok with me...

One of these days I'm going to get my hands on (eeehhmm around) the Kowa!

Till then I subsist on your reviews :egghead:

CG

You are most welcome. If you fancy a challenge try the Kowa alongside the Meopta and the Zeiss Conquest and let us know which you go for.

Lee

Nice review. I have the new Swarovski 8x30 CL's and I had the Swarovision 8x32 SV and I agree with everything in the review. I forgot that the old CL was plastic and the new one is magnesium. He is correct in that the focuser is better on the new CL than the SV and also there is not any globe effect like the SV and internal reflections are better controlled on the new CL than the SV. One error I noticed is he said the color edges are better on the new CL than the old CL but he has the new CL scored lower on the chart. It probably should be reversed.

Two minutes ago I compared the old and the new CL companion 8x30 and there is hardly any difference in color fringes ate the very border of the FOV between both, striking is the much brighter image quality of the new CL Companion 8x30.
When I speak about color fringes I mean that at the very edge of the FOV tiny ,very tiny color lines can be seen for example along a straight white window shelf, nothing to worry about, since one hardly finds any binocular which does not show that.
Gijs van Ginkel

Last edited:
Bob, post 253,
I have measured it and it is as I have listed it in my test report (see the WEB-site of House of Outdoor) 16 mm for the new Companion.
Gijs van Ginkel

LastStarfighter, post 255,
Eyerelief of the new 10x30 Companion is also 16 mm (I measured it and it is as written on the Swarovski WEB-site).
Gijs van Ginkel

The difference of course is "eye relief" v. "effective eye relief." since ALL eyecups chew up some eye relief (to varying degrees) it probably makes more sense just to publish "eye relief" and let users come to their own conclusions about how "effective" that will be for them as individuals. The photo in the review suggests that, yes, the CL eyecups chew up a little more eye relief than the 8x32SV. But then there's all this talk of an "eye box." Who knows??

I would guess only eyeglass wearers would even need to consider this, but again just try it and see for yourself. There is no universal prescription here. I'll try them when they get here. No biggie.

Last edited:
Between Dennis and Gijs's report....making a new CL Companion 8X30 hard to resist!

I sure like my previous model though.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back