• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do birds prefer feeders mounted on something solid? (1 Viewer)

cheryl

I have 5 wooden feeders in my backyard plus i plastic feeder.I also have a suet cage and make pinecone peanut butter treats for them.I have noticed that the feeders that are mounted on wooden posts seem to get the most use,I am wondering if the birds prefer the base more solid.I currently have chikadees,grosbeaks,bluejays,and woodpeckers here.I am also seeing birds i havent had here before,they are black and quite large,with a cream coloured beak)(smaller than a raven but bigger than a jay)if anyone knows what they could be,please let me know.I am in northwestern Ontario.Thanks Cheryl

Cheryl - can't say I've noticed any particular difference, and I have both fixed and hanging feeders.

In fact, if I was going to stick my neck out, I'd say if there was any difference, the free hanging feeders are slightly more popular - although I would probably put that down to location. I have them suspended from tree branches that provide lots of ready cover - I assume that might allow the birds to feel a little less vulnerable.

I'm afraid I can't help with the bird !!

Our free hanging ones are definitely more popular. The birds seem to prefer a dangling feeder that is pretty free moving.

A big advantage with free hanging ones are that larger birds can't use them. The smaller ones which I usually are trying to feed will have it for themselfs.

Apart from that I think distance to shelter is more important.

The most popular feeding place in my yard isn't a typical feeder... it's a platform about 5 feet high. It's almost always covered in grosbeaks, chickadees,gray jays and common redpolls. Otherwise, all feeders in the yard get about the same amount of action whether they are on posts or free hanging. If the birds are hungry, it won't really matter to them!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back