• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bowling green marsh and Bude canal water. (1 Viewer)

Nina P

Nina
I have had a very interesting visit to Bowling green marsh, and several points of the Bude canal water areas.
BGM,
Monday 1st September,
Went into the hide and found several keen birders, with large scopes spotting many different birds for me,these are some of them.
Spoonbill,
Black tailed godwits
Wimbrel
curlew sandpiper
tufted duck
little egtrets
cormorants,
dunlin
Avocets
common sandpiper
greylag geese
canada geese
lapwing
redshank
sanderling
knot
shell duck
swallows
all together a fabulous watch, I'd missed the glossy ibis and ruff, and would have loved to stay there but I was loath to leave my dear husband too long, so we went on our way.
Bude water including Tamar lower lake.
The spoon bill stepped out from a bush at the waters edge and then slunk off into the reeds and refused to re-appear, there were two rafts of geese but couldn't decide which ones, so probably canada geese.
crested grebes were there along with 4 herons, and loads of gulls, the swallows and housemartins were in abundance there, and the wild flowers were really stunning, with knapweed and hemp-agrimony.
On the actual canal we saw a White throated diving bird, that may be a cormorant, but it had a pure white throat and breast, and flew up to sit proudly on the roof of one of the properties by the canal edge, right in the setting sun, so was then sillouetted, well worth the stop to stare.
I now feel well and truly satiated. But I also know I missed several so I'll have to go again. Nina.
B :) :eat: o:D

Dear Nina,

Pleased you enjoyed your break and saw some good birds.
You were missed at your pub.

Regards to your husband.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Glad you saw lots of great birds. It's always great when there are other birders in the hide pointing out things you might have missed! Geraldine and I have still to see a spoonbill in this country. I saw some at the Parc de la Marquenterre a few years ago. I also would love to get a close up view of a whimbrel.
:t:

james

Hi Nina,

Bowling Green is my local 'patch' and I'm glad you had a good haul there. Sorry you missed the glossy.
Most things you saw are pretty regular apart from te Curlew Sandpiper. I reckon that was special for here. I've only seen one- in full summer plumage about 6 weeks ago.

Come back again!

Regards,

Padraig.

Next time I go I really hope to have a decent scope, that both Graham and I can share, we have requested all friends and family that we wish to purchase a scope, prefferably one that I can use my digital camera with, ( to reduce expense) as we have a "special" wedding anniversary coming up, that way we can record what we see, and if I get to know how to reduce the images on the pc I'll even be able to post them! WOW! Nina.

Nina,

I am really glad your trip down to BGM was a success despite not seeing Izzy. The geese would be Canada Geese with probably two Greylags. Come back down soon.

I am pleased this thread has re-appeared so now I can post a picture of one of the plants I saw, around Tamar lakes, there were other people at this site who thought the geese were barnacle but I very much reckon they were mistaken as I have only seen canada geese there.
I was unable to get on the PC yesterday as we were without power AGAIN for four hours this time, I'll try and post this picture of Hemp Agrimony Eupatorium cannabinum, of which most had finished flowering, just found a scrap still showing its pink.
I seem to think you may get two others, one very poor butterfly picture where the macro didn't work, and purple losestrife where I shook.Nina

Attachments

• ninaspix.zip
    193.7 KB · Views: 158
There are occassional Barnacles at Bowling Green through the year and they increase in numbers during the winter resident influx.

Talking of Barnacle Geese there is one at Bowling Green Marsh today, with about 250 Canada, even more exciting is that i have seen the first Winter Brent Geese at Dawlish Warren, only 3 but it's a start

I want my daughters new mobile phone!! The pictures she can get off that are better than the ones I get off my expensive digital camera, and she can download them on the PC!!!! ****** not fair!! she can get close ups and every thing, sob sob, I've threatened to nick it, but she wasn't impressed. cracking camera on a b****** mobile phone. Nina.

Kingfisher, I am quite sure I saw Skeins of Brent Geese flooding in onto a stubble field near Lympstone. Can't be too sure cos they were dark with white rears and I was on the other bank at Powderham.

Andrew, the chances are that they were Brent Geese, more have been reported today in Dorset, i was at Dawlish Warren today again in the hope of seeing more but alas never saw any. But Widgeon numbers are increasing as they move from their breeding grounds in the north.

Did you see the returning Avocets at BGM?

At the Warren the Eel Grass is growing profusely so the geese will be back soon.

Yes, i was there 2 days ago and there was about 25 Avocets present they wil be cheering those cold winters days birding on the Exe.

If you're still reading this thread Nina, it was nice to meet you at BGM and such an amazing coincidence about yours and my wife, Barbara's, family - my inlaws, Wilf and Ruby Jacobs cetainly remember you and your family. Best of luck getting the scope - I had to give up smoking to get mine, well worth it though!

Regards

Leigh

Leigh, I have not had a chance to welcome you to this site. I am a Devonian too so might bump into you one day. Welcome and enjoy.

Hi there Leigh, yes that was very strange, was it not? yes It was so wonderful to have another face from the forum, and when I returned home I mentioned that to my mum and a friend, who also lived in the village, Mervyn Andrews, and his family, also knowledgeable about the Jacobs family! regards to all of them. Nina.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back