• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American Birders - Great Backyard Bird Count Feb. 18th-21st, 2011 (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is holding its annual GBBC on the weekend of February 18-21, 2011. Here's their webpage for information on how to take part and submit you lists, and also look at previous years' results: http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

Last year 97,331 checklists were submitted, 603 species of birds were seen and an incredible 11,233,609 individual birds were counted.

You don't have to limit yourself to just your backyard, but can go out to local parks, nature reserves, State and National Parks, etc., so make the best of the 4 day President's Day holiday weekend and count those birds!

And don't forget your camera, as there is a GBBC gallery to upload your photos to - they like to see the people taking part as well as the birds you see.

Another quick reminder that the GBBC starts this Friday, Feb 18th and continues through President's Day, Monday Feb. 21st.

Spent one hour yesterday morning observing and submitted it today. I always get questioned about the number of Gambel's Quail I have. I usually have over 100, this year 107. Mine hang around to get the good eats. Wish they had a wider range of categories. Saying a yard when you live on 37 acres of land seems a little strange.

I did a couple of counts on my own yesterday, and today I went on a very snowy bird hike led by a field ornithologist as a GBBC activity. It was fun. I spent a lot of time looking over a Cedar Waxwing flock looking for a Bohemian, but no luck.

I sometimes post on a local email list, and a few people there recognized my name.

We've been blessed with absolutely horrible winter weather in N.E. Montana for GBBC ... usually quite a few birds at the feeders, but starving deer clean them out too quickly to keep them filled.

Even the otherwise-regular White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers have been absent during GBBC so far, even though the suet offerings are plentiful.

Seems to be a House Sparrow count through today, and even they haven't been very numerous.

It's been bad weather in a lot of places for the count, makes it hard.

It's been really "hard" birding this year here in high-elevation California, too. Wind, blizzarding, fog. Jeesh! Not nearly the variety of spp and nothing unusual. Spent 6.5 hours today and only netted 18 spp. Weather will be much better tomorrow (once the fog burns off) so hopefully sightings will improve. Still, the worst day birding is better than the best day working! :)

Hey Lisa, I know what you mean. I don't have a "yard" per se, either, and in fact live in a small enclave carved out of the Los Padres National Forest, so it's "coniferous," "deciduous" and "rural" all rolled into one.

If you haven't sent in your count results yet, don't panic, you have until March 1st.

I spoke a bit too soon in saying that nothing unusual turned up in this year's count for my location: An adult female Northern Harrier put in a soaring appearance over the greenbelt, which is about the only open ground (except for the local golf course) in the nearby forest. She returned the following day (the day after the count) for two additional good looks at her. If she returns a third time, I'll try to get photos because this is very unusual to see this sp around anything but open fields/grasslands.

Nice bird to have in your greenbelt, Katy. We have one that has wintered on our acreage for the last couple of years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back