• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements (1 Viewer)

Because you are old fashioned enough that you think mirrors are better than mirrorless...

Niels

Niels, I imagine the familiar (and larger) DSLR ergonomics may play a big part for some - but then puzzlingly the latest rumours I have read for the D780 seem to suggest that it won't include the pins for a vertical grip attachment ?! which will surely make it a non-starter for some of those very same people ! (wedding photographers etc). Sometimes you wonder what Nikon is doing to itself ! ........ :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Some low light photographers do prefer the DSLR with its own AF system that can see IR flash assist. Mirrorless needs to use something that's not deep red or use the "low light" setting that is a bit slow to focus.

D780 Dslr ...... ?!?

Because you are old fashioned enough that you think mirrors are better than mirrorless...

Niels

840 grams, US $2299 ....... basically a Z6 WITHOUT IBIS, WITHOUT Z MOUNT LENSES, but an extra SDUHSII card slot :t: and $500 more - I think we have just entered some sort of Twilight Zone ! :eek!:

Sales of this beast are going to be very interesting indeed ! :cat:

840 grams, US $2299 ....... basically a Z6 WITHOUT IBIS, WITHOUT Z MOUNT LENSES, but an extra SDUHSII card slot :t: and $500 more - I think we have just entered some sort of Twilight Zone ! :eek!:

Sales of this beast are going to be very interesting indeed ! :cat:

Well, there are people who need two card slots, like wedding photographers. They may also need some video capability as well. And if they're Nikon shooters they'll definitely have the Nikon glass they need for their job. They won't want to purchase lots of Z lenses given they've got their F lenses. Low light capabilities will be excellent, and over 2200 shots with a fully charged battery isn't bad at all.

Actually, I think there are a lot of people who'll get this camera. Sure, it's not a camera for wildlife shooters. But then not everybody shoots wildlife.

Hermann

Well, there are people who need two card slots, like wedding photographers. They may also need some video capability as well. And if they're Nikon shooters they'll definitely have the Nikon glass they need for their job. They won't want to purchase lots of Z lenses given they've got their F lenses. Low light capabilities will be excellent, and over 2200 shots with a fully charged battery isn't bad at all.

Actually, I think there are a lot of people who'll get this camera. Sure, it's not a camera for wildlife shooters. But then not everybody shoots wildlife.

Hermann
Yes, but I imagine those very same people would like a fully functioning vertical grip too, and probably, if pro's, would appreciate the fastest cards money can buy - dual CFexpress.

It is Soooooo annoying that Nikon (well CaNikONY) always seem to knobble some key feature that would increase the happiness of their customers ........ grrrr.

And geez, +$500 is STEEP, especially when those same wedding photographers are going to need high end stabilized lenses (which, granted, they probably already have anyway) to make use of the new video capability ......

I still wonder if it is enough to worry the Canon R (II) and EOS 5D MkV though ...... ? :cat:

I imagine the D780 may see some discounting after 9 months or so .......

12 more new 'Z' lenses on the way :)

A portfolio of 12 new Z mount lenses has been flagged at CES 2020, scheduled to arrive by 2021 (end of?).
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/01/08/...s-available-now-12-more-to-come-by-2021.aspx/

Among them is an 18-140 DX lens ...... grrr ! why couldn't it have been 16-140 ?! that extra width at the wide end makes all the difference to versatility AND usually sets Nikon apart from Canon.

There is a 100-400 S lens.

A 200-600 lens, which judging by the silhouette size looks like it will only be f6.3 on the tele end ..... again - another grrr ! Making this lens f5.6 on the long end would have really set it apart for the better from the rest of the market. Make it out of CFRP - nobody is using these things as recovery ramps for 4WD's or using them to bash Grizzly Bears !!!!! :storm:

How many times do you have to be told Nikon !?! Keep.the ranges wide, the speed up, and the weight down - Waaay Down !

LIGHTWEIGHT ! LIGHTWEIGHT !! LIGHTWEIGHT !!! o:)

I've mostly given up on Nikon doing lightweight for their high-end lenses. The 500/5.6 PF is great -- I use it all the time now even though its shorter than I'd like. Canon and Sony are on top of it for light weight high-end lenses.

Marc

Hermann

Hermann - I think you nailed it. The D780 is a very nice update in a lot of areas for a D750 wedding, event or portrait photographer. They don't need the resolution of the D850, they need two cameras and dual cards, and the D780 provides almost everything you have in a Z6 except the EVF and mirrorless.

The other way to look at it is it's a much better regular resolution camera to pair with a D850. I felt the D750 was underwhelming compared to a D850. It was more than just lower resolution for events, weddings, etc. The D780 is a legitimate second camera.

So here is the list of upgrades and updates:

Newer sensor
Faster focus
New EXPEED processor
Faster shutter
Better weather sealing frame
Better video
Dual Faster SD card slots with UHS-II instead of UHI-I
175% Longer battery life / 2200+ images on a charge per CIPA std.
Updated control layout to better match D850
5fps shooting with a full buffer compared to 2.5 fps using a D750

This D780 camera is an updated little brother to the D850. It's $1000 cheaper than the D850/Z7 price point - much better aligned as a modern all purpose camera. It's a big step up from the D750.

I still think it's a very strange (and rather typically CaNikONY) for Nikon not to offer a fully functioning vertical battery grip for the D780. If anyone is going to need such functionality surely it's wedding, and event photographers/ videographers ..... ?? :h?: :cat:

Nikon: "We are at a transitional stage"

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

So Nikon to have an each way bet .... DSLR and Mirrorless. They will continue to develop both systems, but surely the pace of DSLR development and market range cannot continue at the same pace and levels as before.

To be fair to Nikon, one of the main factors that Nikon flagged at the outset of this process was that the transition to Mirrorless would depend on their ability to offer an EVF that matches and supercedes the OVF experience, along with comparable AF performance. They're not even offering the best EVF tech that the industry has to supply at this stage - maybe in the high resolution Z8 ? and it seems that D6 will be their AF king for now ....

As with the above post this is leading to some strange feature sets and market segment hobbling and pricing.

Have they never heard of 'bird photographers' though? They still seem rather clueless on the direction for DX ..... pegging it as 'entry level' .... and where on earth is that 600mm f5.6 PF lens !?!

I think (and really hope) that Nikon springs a 26MP D500S on us (the same way that the D5 twinned with the D500S nearly ~4 years ago) , adding all the new D6 AF goodies along with D780 hybrid style video capability. This will buy them essential time to work out how to combine a state of the art EVF with cutting edge AF performance in a 'Pro' level DX Mirrorless in a smaller (but still ergonomically suited to long lenses) body at the same price point without stepping on any other Nikon's market niche pricing ....... phew ! o:)

From NikonRumors:

subject-tracking AF enabled in photo mode has been changed to more closely resemble that of the 3D-tracking option for digital SLR cameras.​

Thank heavens! I need to download this and try it. I really disliked the original subject tracking UX.

Nikon Z6/Z7 firmware 3.0 and Z50 firmware 1.10 released

https://m.dpreview.com/news/2100547...ts-z6-z7-cameras-and-minor-update-for-the-z50

Some wins, but some frustrations will probably remain - eg.

"face and eye detection do not work when using subject-tracking mode. The latter was our major complaint as we tested the major firmware update that brought eye detection to the Z-series, and it's unfortunate this limitation still persists, especially when you consider that face detection works well in conjunction with 3D-tracking on the company's recent DSLRs."

Another report from Petapixel with some video of the functions as well .....
https://petapixel.com/2020/02/18/ni...uQewWzwBhPSpbbQ8Eg_OQaQ3x8oXzHdF0erySRBrgAgUQ

Last edited:
I got out today for the first time with the Z7 and v3 firmware. I can say that tracking is much improved, especially the user interface. In auto area mode, you still need to press OK to enable tracking mode, but then it starts/stops tracking based on the AF-ON (or 1/2 press shutter release). When you let go, it resets to the idle tracking mode waiting for the next shutter / af-on press. This is much more usable than the prior scheme on the Z series.

I was shooting in DX mode and the tracking box is pretty big. I did not try in in FX mode. I think this is the same size as it was prior, just saying it's a pretty big box in DX mode.

I still need to process the photos, but from looking at them on the monitor, looks perfectly fine. I was only shooting a soaring hawk and some snowy egrets on the beach, so I do not know how well it does it action or erratic motion.

Marc

Nikon Is Rumored To Introduce More Fast F/1.2 Z Mirrorless Prime Lenses

There is a handy Roadmap chart here (as of Jan 2020) detailing the lenses due out to the end of 2021 ..... well at least that was the timeframe until the COVID-19 impacts really took off and can be predicted to increase.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/03/11/...re-fast-f-1-2-z-mirrorless-prime-lenses.aspx/

We can see from this that Nikon still regards the APS-C range (currently just the Z50) as decidedly entry level/consumer. No wide-angle zoom listed for DX, and really couldn't we have had the 18-140 be a 16-140 ?? (real wide angle fun starts at 24mm eq.)

We can also see that the superzoom 200-600 is a consumer level lens which is almost certainly f6.3 max. aperture based on the size of the silhouette shown. Both bad misses imho - a lightweight f5.6 and 'S' line image quality would have been awesome.

Perhaps we might infer that the loooooong overdue (against expectations) PF 600 f5.6 may finally put in an appearance ..... :cat:

Likewise, nothing in that lens line up says Professional DX. Nikon still wants to funnel you into FX. Given that, how about a D500S Pro DX flagship to get the D6's new improved AF capabilities :king:

One thing you have to give Nikon kudos for though is the excellent range of f1.8 Mirrorless 'S' line lenses. A real win. :t:

With the hi-res? Canon R5 development announcement already made, and that 'Pro' level FF due around the middle of the year, it is more important than ever for Nikon to bring it's own Pro FF 61MP Z8 to market.

Last edited:
D800, D810, D850 and D880, who thinks of these numbers?
It is a bit crazy town !

We could still live in hope that Nikon will upgrade the D500.
What on earth would they call that now ? D500S ?
D550 ? (I think that may be gone now).
I don't know what on earth happened to the D860 ?? (at least that could have played off the new D6 flagship) So I suppose D560 is gone too.
Does that mean it would be straight to D580 ??? :cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back