• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?white-fronted goose, Cirencester (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
if it hadn't been for the different facial markings, i'd have said the attached goose was a white-fronted one

however, not sure what the different face means - is it a different type of goose, or is it a hybrid ?

picture taken yesterday in the Abbey Grounds Park in Cirencester

Attachments

• IMG_3179.JPG
    IMG_3179.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Img_3183.jpg
    Img_3183.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 41
if it hadn't been for the different facial markings, i'd have said the attached goose was a white-fronted one

however, not sure what the different face means - is it a different type of goose, or is it a hybrid ?

picture taken yesterday in the Abbey Grounds Park in Cirencester

A hybrid with some canada goose genes [responsible for the facial pattern].

It is a greylag x canada hybrid.

In all intergeneric crosses Anser x Branta geese the hybrids can show white at the base of the bill, even if both the Anser and the Branta parent do not show this.
In hybrids of Canada and greylag this is very common.

General structure and heavy bill indicate the Anser parent was a greylag here.

i had wondered, since greylag is more common than white-fronted, but since no-one put me right i thought at first white-fronted had to be correct

however, i bow for your superior knowledge + glad that i got this one sorted !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back