• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Google Street View birding (1 Viewer)

Sure not just Collared?

A good bit smaller overall than the Feral Pigeons in first pic, Collared would be roughly same size. Almost thrush-like in some of the photos. Having looked at a lot of Collared Doves on my virtual tour of Romania I agree with Nutcracker that they also appear darker than Collareds do (in similarly strong sunshine).

Northern Shoveller

I've tried looking around various likely spots in Japan, but Google seems to have made a point of going at the 'wrong Season'. Also, quite a few bits in remote places look like Street View (i.e. you can swivel and sometimes move around) but appear to be contributed by individuals.

The only thing I've found so far which appears not to be on the list is Northern Shoveller. (The Mute Swan in the picture is free-flying but not native, and actually a kind of pet.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.6...GQ!2e0!5s20150301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

If it is, it is extralimital; the species isn't mapped as breeding north of the Danube. Or has it expanded its range significantly in recent years?

It does breed north of the Danube, by about 150km, in Hungary in the area Debrecen-Hortobagy-Solnok and points south towards the Romanian border. Below that, it is recorded on passage in Romania (BirdLife Datazone map), encompassing the place where the Google Map image was taken.

It has bred there since the early 1990s (Text Account in the 1996 EBCC Atlas of European Breeding Birds)
MJB.

I've tried looking around various likely spots in Japan, but Google seems to have made a point of going at the 'wrong Season'. Also, quite a few bits in remote places look like Street View (i.e. you can swivel and sometimes move around) but appear to be contributed by individuals.

The only thing I've found so far which appears not to be on the list is Northern Shoveller. (The Mute Swan in the picture is free-flying but not native, and actually a kind of pet.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.6...GQ!2e0!5s20150301T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Already had N Shoveler (post 396), but Arrrghh!!! I'd forgot to add it (and Spur-winged Lapwing) to my master list :-C error rectified now. Please keep checking for accidental omissions!
Yours is also a better capture too :t:

It does breed north of the Danube, by about 150km, in Hungary in the area Debrecen-Hortobagy-Solnok and points south towards the Romanian border. Below that, it is recorded on passage in Romania (BirdLife Datazone map), encompassing the place where the Google Map image was taken.

It has bred there since the early 1990s (Text Account in the 1996 EBCC Atlas of European Breeding Birds)
MJB.
OK, I'll add then (assuming you're happy with that ID!) #190 :t:

One group I'm surprised we haven't got on the list so far is Bee-Eaters. I've tried a few places but drawn a blank.

One group I'm surprised we haven't got on the list so far is Bee-Eaters. I've tried a few places but drawn a blank.
Ditto, a shortage of shrikes - would've thought they'd be much easier. Spent a while trawling along back roads in Portugal, Spain and Bulgaria, and nothing. American Kestrel is another habitual wire-percher oddly absent.

Part of the trouble is, back roads often only have one fairly old (= low resolution) run, while major motorways with more recent coverage are worse for birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back