• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid duck (not domestic mallard) (1 Viewer)

I dunno, but to me it looks more like a Diving Duck Hybrid then Anas, If it were a Muscovy, Where would the colours like that come from?

I dunno, but to me it looks more like a Diving Duck Hybrid then Anas, If it were a Muscovy, Where would the colours like that come from?

It’s the iridescent green back feathering which makes me think Muscovy--that & the pink bill. The green head & chestnut breast would be from the other parent, a Mallard maybe. But I don’t have a lot of confidence in this.

C’mon Joern where are you? We need you to sort this out for us!

surely not; they're a completely different genus.

Muscovy and Mallard have been recorded enough times hybridising. Even Egyptian Goose x Mallard has been recorded a number of times.

Having said that, I can't see Muscovy in this one. No idea what though. Possibly Rosybill for one of the parents as was suggested by someone else, or possibly Wood Duck

Jan

Genera are a human invention, and won't stop one species from mating with another if it's physically and physiologically possible.

There are so many examples, that perhaps someone will write a book about it, but I guess they won't title it 'The Avian Shaggability Index'...
MJB

Genera are a human invention, and won't stop one species from mating with another if it's physically and physiologically possible.

mating's one thing but whether the two are capable of reproducing's another. but if this occurring, i guess it's news to me.

mating's one thing but whether the two are capable of reproducing's another. but if this occurring, i guess it's news to me.

Google images of them and you'll find lots of very strange looking birds.

Not related in any way to the OP's bird, but for a stunning and very odd looking hybrid, check out this male Goosander x Eider: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8640089@N06/4276034561/in/pool-hybridbirds. This is what it is labelled as, and with it being at Martin Mere and seemingly proven parentage, it should be exactly what it is. Those grey vermiculated flanks look random to me in this case though. More like a RB Merg, although I suppose an Eider's black flanks with a Goosander's white flanks could make grey...!

Jan

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back