• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to move bird nest with eggs (1 Viewer)

stylgeo

My mom was complaining that her kitchen ventilator was not working properly and that it wasn't ventilating the cooking odours and steam like it used to. I told her I would look into it. After cleaning the filters and everything, I noticed that the thick bendy hose leading outside was torn, so I went and bought an aluminium one and got to work replacing the old one. And I found this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/7013965923_8a9af1949b_b.jpg

I don't know what sort of bird built this nest and laid its eggs, I would imagine a great tit (location: Cyprus). This year has been very cold, and this bird built its nest right over the stove ventilator, apparently a very warm place indeed. But now is spring, and getting warmer by the day.
Needless to say that this should go, my mom was adamant that she doesn't want this, but I did convince her to give me a day to see what I can do about it. I could build a quick bird house and affix it right next to the air vent entrance on the outside wall, put the nest in there and hope that the mother will find it... do you think this will work?

Other option is that my mom will probably call an exterminator or something, or ask for my dad to throw the whole thing away. She loves animals and birds, she loves nature, but growing up in a farm as a child she can differentiate when birds become pests and a nuisance (something I personally cannot do).

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

It's such a shame that any inconvenience that nature causes us usually ends like this.

Wildlife as pests - it's all a matter of perspective!!!

Not sure if it's illegal in Cyprus to interfere with bird nests. Not sure if moving the nest would work either.

Having been without a working vent for this long, how would it work with having a window open, maybe even using a small fan (maybe next to the window on reverse) to help ventilate ... ?

Haven't looked into how long they need to fledge tbh, not even sure what kind of bird it is! I just built a nice and sturdy birdhouse and set it up on a tree near by in case you guys told me that it would be fine to move, but I also convinced my mom to give it a month or so, since now the weather is nice and she can open up a window when she is cooking.

I inadvertently disturbed the nest while opening it up, and I had to nudge the eggs a bit towards the center of the vent so that I could close it up again. How can I know if the mother has abandoned it?

Thanks

As danetheman suggested, if you could just hold off for a bit and let the eggs hatch and the nestlings fledge of their own, then you could go about repairing it?

Yes KC, I convinced my mom to let them be for about a month, but after that I promised I would come back and destroy the nest to keep them from having a second brood. I put up the birdhouse I made in her backyard today, will probably set her up a few feeders as well and/or a bird table. That will probably get her a lot more interested in her garden wildlife as well :). And I will put up some plastic shatters for the ventilation exit after I fix the flexible hose, to avoid this thing from happening again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back