• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a D3300 for bird photos? (1 Viewer)

Ok - So I know I'm probably the lone wolf using a D3300 for bird photography.

I know 5 frames per second compared to vs 7 on the 7200. I know it, I get it. I'm saving for the 7200.

I'm just curious if there is anyone actually out there using a 3300 for bird photos?

I've managed a decent shot, here and there. Since I've upgraded to the Sigma 150-600c I've actually gotten shots that I'm proud of.

So who else is in the 3300 closet? or am I the lone tenant?

By the way, here's my work. Please be gentle, I've only been at this for 4 months.

https://www.instagram.com/meadowlandsphoto/

Thanks- Stephen

Not me but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it,there was a guy on a forum i use using the D3100 and Tamron 150-600,he was getting great results.

I know 5 frames per second compared to vs 7 on the 7200. I know it, I get it. I'm saving for the 7200.

I'm just curious if there is anyone actually out there using a 3300 for bird photos?

I've managed a decent shot, here and there. Since I've upgraded to the Sigma 150-600c I've actually gotten shots that I'm proud of.

By the way, here's my work. Please be gentle, I've only been at this for 4 months.

Thanks- Stephen

I have used the D3300 body with a Nikkor 70-300 zoom as a 'walk around' outfit.

IQ equal to that of results obtained with D7100 and D7200 bodies with the same lens but I found the poorly illuminated shooting information in the viewfinder annoying, particularly in strong light.

The image quality of the D3300 is great, no difference to the D7200, at least none I can see.

The big difference to the D7200 and the pro-bodies like the D300 or the D500 is the AF. First of all, the focus can't be adjusted, so either your lens works just fine with your body or it doesn't. Also the AF isn't really good enough for BIF. My ancient D200 runs circles around the D3300 when it comes to moving objects. Also the controls are, well, typical for consumer bodies: No second wheel, no separate AF-On button (in addition to AEL), lots of menue-diving if you want to adjust e.g. WB, only one Fn button (which I invariably set to ISO).

Still, I really, really like the D3300. A small, lightweight body with excellent image quality, and pretty cheap for what it does. A worthy successor to the venerable D40 with its 6MP sensor. And the image quality is great, up to about 3200 ISO.

Hermann

My wife uses a D3300 for birds. She gets decent results, especially with the 200mm-500mm Nikon lens. The combination seems to work pretty well.

There is another thread on this forum that I began asking about which camera I should get her for Christmas. I was considering a D500 based on the advice from the collective expertise, but I'm re-thinking it; at least for this year.

My wife uses a D3300 for birds. She gets decent results, especially with the 200mm-500mm Nikon lens. The combination seems to work pretty well.

There is another thread on this forum that I began asking about which camera I should get her for Christmas. I was considering a D500 based on the advice from the collective expertise, but I'm re-thinking it; at least for this year.

Get me one then ;)

'

Thanks- Stephen
'

Guilty as charged here !

Gotta say though, that I bought mine for aircraft primarily.

Using it in conjunction with a VR 70-300mm lens outdoors, when shooting aircraft.

Same goes for the slightly earlier D.3200 which I also own, having bought D.3200 & D,3300 when 'cutting-edge/New'

Always the problem (minor), when buying Brand-New camera gear & bodies in particular.

One day it's the latest/greatest in it's class - The next minute, it's obsolete

Still got my D.3300, as well as two other (bought brand-new), D.5300's
(Yeah, ok, I like them !)

As others have said - it's all about the glass

Given I'm an ordinary guy who used to have a much better higher-income, but that's now not the case.

Had plenty of dosh to go buy the D.7200 or D.600 (at the time), but felt it was 'overkill' for me.

Since the airshow-scene literally died-off (since that idiot at Shoreham), am not using them much.

Right now tho', I'm more into feeding birds & using binoculars for those across the field.

As I've seen many guys with so-called 'Entry-level' cameras get GREAT results, I don't get hung-up on expense.

Anyways, as ya can see, I've only just joined, so, your thread WAS new to me... o:D

Thanks- Stephen

I currently have a D3400 which I used for some bird photography. Was featured on wikipedia. Only with a cheapo 70-300. It's really all about timing, skill, and luck when it comes to these lower-spec cameras. :)

Thanks- Stephen

Great pictures Stephen,

I'm only just getting into bird and macro photography, always been interested but never had time or money before but change of job about a year ago has changed that. Only yesterday, i got the camera back out but had a dissapointing day in the garden with too many noisy neighbours which resulted in few birds.

I have a Nikon 3200 with 3 lenses, nikon 105mm, nikon 55 to 300mm, nikon 18 to 105mm. Managed a few good shots but mostly they are bad, but I think with more reading & practice, hopefully things will change.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back