• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-chested Flufftail Lake Sibaya,KZN, South Africa June 2019 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I was lucky enough to see this Flufftail last week. Is it a female or Juvenile Red-chested Flufftail? All images are of the same bird.

Thanks very much for your help

Attachments

• ARD_1488.JPG
    ARD_1488.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ARD_1490.JPG
    ARD_1490.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 28
  • ARD_1491.JPG
    ARD_1491.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 30
  • ARD_1493.JPG
    ARD_1493.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 20
isn’t that a Common Buttonquail?

My guide wasn't sure, but looking at SASOL and Roberts we agreed upon Red-chested Flufftail, but neither of us were totally convinced. The whitish eyes might rule out the buttontails occuring there, Common and Black rumped. The latter is too rufous in the face.

Does Common Buttonquail have a rufous tail? This bird is (still/re-) growing it's tail. It is certainly barred with dark (and wet) upper tail coverts. Looking now on a monitor, rather than the back of a camera, I think I can rule out Red-chested Flufftail on tail alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back