• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowitcher? Bahamas (1 Viewer)

fishercl

Christine
I was recently in the Bahamas and took this shot while on an "eco-tour". The tour guide referred to this bird as a Willet, but now that I'm back and I've had a chance to look at my bird guide for the Bahamas, I think it is a short-billed dowitcher.

Is it a dowitcher?

Thanks.

Christine

Attachments

• Short-billed Dowitcher_MG_5815 for id.jpg
    Short-billed Dowitcher_MG_5815 for id.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 122
Definitely a dowitcher, note the barring on the tail. As to which dowitcher, I'd say SB as well due to lighter breast, short-looking bill, and the bars on the tail I was talking about don't seem packed close enough together for LB. Raffaele et al's Birds of the West Indies describes LB Dow as "apparently a very rare migrant." Any more shots by any chance? And may I ask exactly when and where in the Bahamas these where taken?

Last edited:
Hi Christine, very nice photo of a Short-billed Dowitcher in nonbreeding plumage!

The straightish back, palish breast, pale covert edging and lightly marked flanks all combine to separate this bird from Long-billed Dowitchers, but the tail barring we can see really seals the deal. Tail barring is often ambiguous, but the bars on this bird say SBD quite plainly, in my opinion.

Based on location it is likely Limnodromus griseus griseus, and that is reinforced by the distinctly yellow base to the bill. Great shot!

Edited to say that I see Alex replied while I was writing, glad to see that we concur.

overworkedirish said:
Definitely a dowitcher, note the barring on the tail. As to which dowitcher, I'd say SB as well due to lighter breast, short-looking bill, and the bars on the tail I was talking about don't seem packed close enough together for LB. Raffaele et al's Birds of the West Indies describes LB Dow as "apparently a very rare migrant." Any more shots by any chance? And may I ask exactly when and where in the Bahamas these where taken?
Thanks to both of you.

Alex, I have one other shot that I've attached here. These were taken on San Salvador on Dec 3rd.

Attachments

• Short-billed Dowitcher_MG_5691.jpg
    Short-billed Dowitcher_MG_5691.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
fishercl said:
Thanks to both of you.

Alex, I have one other shot that I've attached here. These were taken on San Salvador on Dec 3rd.

Wow, both are beautiful shots! Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back