• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

End of September (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

at 20 September I will fly to Dublin ( already booked ) for ten 10 days.
I plan to go to south west coast.

Are there any good birding spots on the way to south ?
Spots for waders, seabirds ?

How is about Roseate Tern, is still possible to find in this time ( if yes where to find ) ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,

You need to go to Booterstown in South Dublin in the evening to see Roseate Tern, do this as soon as you arrive, as they won't be hanging around much longer after September 20th, but i'd say some should still be present. In the evening a large Tern roost gathers on the strand there, look for the Terns from Booterstown and walk out. Lots still present today. I've also seen them around that time in Wexford at a place called Nethertown near Carnsore Point if you somehow miss them in Dublin.
There are many good sites to check for waders and sites to seawatch from on your way south, Wexford in particular is famed for waders (i.e. the legendary Tacumshin), and lots down in Cork, Ballycotton etc. Galley head in Cork is one of the better sites for sea watching. I suggest you invest in the recently updated 'Finding Birds in Ireland' by Eric Dempsey, it covers all the better sites and provides good directions. Worth getting if you're spending 10 days here,
Best of Luck!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

thank You very much for the information.
Which place is more reliable for Roseate Tern in this time, the place in Dublin which You described or Ladys Lake ?

On one hand I want to drive into a big town, on the other hand it is a unique possibility to see this kind of tern.
I will arrive 19. September at evening.
How long is possible to watch birds now ?

In Munich is now around 8 pm dark , but reduce about 15 minutes each week.

Best regards
Dieter

I would say definitely Dublin Dieter for Roseate Tern, i have tried in the past to see them around the time you are coming in Wexford and failed, so definitely first stop there for them, at moment it's possible to view the roost up until about 20.15hrs, but by 20th as you correctly estimate this will be more like 19.45hrs. Birds are on the strand from about 18.00hrs onwards now. Around 1750 there last night, (Mostly Common, some Arctic, Roseates and a few Sandwich Tern).
atb
Hugh

There were still a few Roseates among about 250 terns at Crossfintan/Nethertown on Monday 21st, but numbers dropping every day.
Tony

Hello Toni,

thank You very much.
I am back from vacation.
No idea where is Crossfintan/ Nethertown.
I was at 27. in Wexford, but I read your entry today.

One week I was at Dingle peninsula.
I rent a house there, because is cheaper than B&B.
The house was completely equipped, you can live there immediately.

Dingle is very good seabirds, especially Brandon Point.
Bad weather is needed, then the seabirds comes very close.
For seabirds also area of Kerry Head is very good, even thouh it is not at the peninsula.

Dingle has also some places for waders.

Better for waders I think is Carrabane Strand and a place nearby Black Rock.
Near Black Rocks I saw waders from a distance between 8 and 20 meters.

The most waders I saw at Sandy Beach in Dublin.

At Rush ( north of Dublin ) at 28. I saw different Sandwich Terns, mostly from this year.
My target was Forsters Tern.
In a group with Sandwich Terns I saw twice smaller terns with longer tail.
But the pattern of the terns looks not like adult Forsters tern.

The landscape I Dingle is overwhelming.
Mountains are up to 960 meters high.
Because you see them from see level, you have semi alpine panaroma.
Mountains near Munich which I visit quite often are about 1800 - 1900 m.
But startpoint is at 1000 m level. So is the same altitude difference at Dingle peninsula.

I suppose Beara peninsula is similar style.

Best regards
Dieter

I will look there next year.
Better is to start some days earlier and stay 2 weeks.
Then maybe stay mostly somewhere between Goleen and Kenmare or Beara peninsula.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back