• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Darter and a beetle for ID please - UK (1 Viewer)

MTem

The Darter is from my pond in SE England, taken yesterday. Lots of Common Darters around but the yellow cast to the wings and the abdomen colour and pattern are unlike any others around ..... so just to be sure it's nothing else can someone more experienced determine please.

The mating beetles were taken in late August on the same pond. Again any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Edit: or is the dragonfly a 'teneral' Keeled skimmer - I see they have yellow-tinted wings?

Attachments

• Sep17-01UK.jpg
    Sep17-01UK.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Sep17-03UK.jpg
    Sep17-03UK.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Sep17 Ins-02UK.jpg
    Sep17 Ins-02UK.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I think the Darter is an old female Common Darter. Certainly a Darter (only 7 cross veins before the wing node where Skimmers have many more). I think I can see yellow stripes on the black legs in the photo so Common not Ruddy. Wings often get yellowish with age.

O

Common Darters are very variable. This time of year Common Darter will be a large majority of what you see in most parts of the country, just because they keep flying later into the year than most species.

Thanks all. As you can gather I am an Odonata novice, so if it's not well described in Brooks, Lewis and Lewington then I'm likely to be stumped!
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back