• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few Norwegians for identification (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
All taken on a walk round a forested loch in the mountains above Hell! Early August.

1: a flower with a Bumblebee and a (I presume) Hoverfly on it. If anyone can name the flower that would be a bonus (is it a form of scabious?)

2 & 3: These are much harder and may not be possible from these images (but I've nothing better). My first ever attempt at getting one in flight, but the sun was against me.

Attachments

• BF Bumble and Hoverfly for ID S0562266.jpg
    BF Bumble and Hoverfly for ID S0562266.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Dragon for ID S0792346.jpg
    BF Dragon for ID S0792346.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 41
  • BF Dragon in flight for ID S0802350.jpg
    BF Dragon in flight for ID S0802350.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 43
1- The flower is devil's bit or field scabious with the first one being more common in Norway.
The hoverfly is Syrphus sp. (or Parasyrphus sp.)
2 - Coenagrion sp. or Enallagma cyathigerum
3 - unidentifiable but I would lean towards some sort of hawker

Bumblebee looks like Bombus pascuorum in 1.
I don't think the other 2 photos show enough to give precise IDs.

Thanks Aeshna. I thought the two dragons were a very long shot.

If you want more clarification on the bumblebee, Here's another picture showing his backside a bit more clearly perhaps.

Attachments

• BF Bumble for ID clarity S0542257.jpg
    BF Bumble for ID clarity S0542257.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 21
The dragonfly in flight could be a female Brown Hawker - it's certainly a female, it has the jizz of Brown Hawker and by taking a few details out of the shadows it looks (a bit) like a Brown Hawker - but as others have said best left as Hawker sp.

Thanks for trying guys.

I have another from that day that I've just found, think this one may be possible to ID.

Happy 2019 to all in this forum.... and thanks for all the help you give to, not just me, but everyone else who asks for assistance.

Attachments

• BF Dragonfly for ID S0892394.jpg
    BF Dragonfly for ID S0892394.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 29
Male Aeshna juncea/subarctica (I'd prefer a side view or better view of the back of the head to ID with 100% certainty).

Happy New Year to everyone!

Thanks Max. Sorry couldn't do any better than that. He was up on a house wall and that was as close as I could get without actually going on to their porch (not brave enough to do that on a stranger's property!)

Sorry couldn't do any better than that. He was up on a house wall and that was as close as I could get without actually going on to their porch (not brave enough to do that on a stranger's property!)

Something that happens to me quite often, especially with dragonflies and moths;)

Aeshna subarctica/juncea are a pair of species that are very similar compared to other European dragonflies. The most visible differences (at least for males) are that A. juncea has a yellow spot behind the head and a smaller sized patch between the two main stripes on the thorax. I'm not sure how dark your photo is so I don't know if there's a spot behind the head.

I've attached two pictures from wazki.pl, the first one showing A. juncea and the second A. subarctica. Maybe that will help if you remember the insect or have a lighter picture?

Attachments

• EM_DSC03624.jpg
    EM_DSC03624.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 33
  • SB_SG207608.jpg
    SB_SG207608.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 31
Hi Max

Sorry, I've only just now had time to study your post and attachments. Thank you so much for all the trouble you've been to.

I've just lightened the original picture, but can't make out any more detail, certainly not the spot behind the head.

Something that happens to me quite often, especially with dragonflies and moths;)

Aeshna subarctica/juncea are a pair of species that are very similar compared to other European dragonflies. The most visible differences (at least for males) are that A. juncea has a yellow spot behind the head and a smaller sized patch between the two main stripes on the thorax. I'm not sure how dark your photo is so I don't know if there's a spot behind the head.

I've attached two pictures from wazki.pl, the first one showing A. juncea and the second A. subarctica. Maybe that will help if you remember the insect or have a lighter picture?

Doing this from memory but subarctica, supposedly brown not yellow costa, both attached images seem to show yellow costa so this sin't a reliable feature?

I'm aware of this yellow spot from a thread I started earlier this year.

I've been hoping to find subarctica on my patch in Russia, no luck so far.

Last edited:
Doing this from memory but subarctica, supposedly brown not yellow costa, both attached images seem to show yellow costa so this sin't a reliable feature?

I'm aware of this yellow spot from a thread I started earlier this year.

I've been hoping to find subarctica on my patch in Russia, no luck so far.

I wouldn't say that the colour of the costa is a deciding feature. I've been lucky enough to see one A. subarctica which also had a dull yellow costa (sadly no picture). It's probably a feature that differs depending on age and distribution.

Another A. subarctica from Poland with a yellowish costa:
http://www.wazki.pl/z/wazki_aeshna_subarctica/PBu_Ignatowka.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back