• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly of 2019 (1 Viewer)

A bit further south, in Portugal, I had the following:
- Speckled Wood: several males freshly emerged on the 4th Jan
- Red Admiral 1 on the 5th
- Painted Lady at least 6 on the 6th
- Green-striped White: 1 on the 6th

And had a totally unexpected Shark, looking fresh as well, 2 nights ago, despite of the cold weather!

I haven't seen any yet but Butterfly Conservation had records of 5 species on the wing on Jan 1st. Most surprising sighting this month was Speckled Wood.

I haven't seen any yet but Butterfly Conservation had records of 5 species on the wing on Jan 1st. Most surprising sighting this month was Speckled Wood.

I've seen Peacock and Painted Lady here on the Lizard so far this year. Cornwall has recorded Speckled Wood in January a couple of times in recent years, including Jan 1st once (near Falmouth IIRC).

Do you have a current link for Butt Cons first sightings page? Their old address doesn't seem to work (for me at least).

Peacock butterfly in the sunshine today.

With another two butterfly sps - either Peacock or Red Admiral (one whilst driving through the lanes).

Fat chance here until April, (Russia) still two feet of snow on the ground but at least all the buses and trains are running and flights leaving on time., 2cm was causing havoc when I was in London last week........:t:

Brimstone this morning. They are usually the first species I see here. Most years, I see my first a week or so later. Really nice day today though!

Two brimstones and a peacock today in Kraków, Poland. The winters are only getting shorter here, it's already 16°C!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back