• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can Somebody Confirm This Is A Juvenile Osprey? Florida (1 Viewer)

adubin

Can somebody confirm this is a juvenile Osprey? Thank You, ADubin

Attachments

• 001-20190203-190203-Nikon D500 -_DSC5413.jpg
    001-20190203-190203-Nikon D500 -_DSC5413.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 127
Adult with what looks to be very worn/bleached plumage. Not sure about Florida, but in most of the country it's the wrong time of year for juveniles.

Thank You For Quick Response

Jim, Thank you so much for your quick response to my request. ADubin

Adult with what looks to be very worn/bleached plumage. Not sure about Florida, but in most of the country it's the wrong time of year for juveniles.

imho this is a juvenile bird, if taken in 2019 in its second calendar year, all secondaries and all (very worn) greater coverts of same generation (juvenile feathers wear off even more than adult feathers)

imho this is a juvenile bird, if taken in 2019 in its second calendar year, all secondaries and all (very worn) greater coverts of same generation (juvenile feathers wear off even more than adult feathers)

Could be; hadn't thought about that possibility. I was assuming the photo was taken this year and was opining on whether it was a juvenile bird in its first calendar year, which I don't think it could be.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back