• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh harrier age & sex? (1 Viewer)

Gduff

Can you help me with this bird, seen yesterday?
Thank you

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 79
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 40
With such a clean plumage and pale line on upper greater coverts, clearly a juvenile to me. Did I mess something Tom ?

With such a clean plumage and pale line on upper greater coverts, clearly a juvenile to me. Did I mess something Tom ?

Pale line looks perfect for fresh juvenile indeed, but than again I would expect a much darker juvenile plumage in juvenile and more orange head (which can be bleached by now), also juvenile greater coverts with light tips should be worn away almost completely by now in juvenile, so to me it does not look straightforward juvie. Clean plumage in adults in winter in species which undergo complete moult in autumn and winter is ok for adults too and pic is recent. And second calendar birds should show more white bases to underwing primaries
In summary: a mess ;)

Pale line looks perfect for fresh juvenile indeed, but than again I would expect a much darker juvenile plumage in juvenile and more orange head (which can be bleached by now), also juvenile greater coverts with light tips should be worn away almost completely by now in juvenile, so to me it does not look straightforward juvie. Clean plumage in adults in winter in species which undergo complete moult in autumn and winter is ok for adults too and pic is recent. And second calendar birds should show more white bases to underwing primaries

This is variable IMO, for me it is ok for a juvie at this time of the year, they are getting paler with time indeed.

I mean that all flight feathers seem to be exactly at the same stage, no one look more worn than another. In adults, as moult is not simultaneous, some feathers are fresher and other more used.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back