• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown small bird in a hilly area (alt ~600m/2000ft) in Romania (1 Viewer)

Hi,

For some time now, I have noticed a small bird on my porch.
It is about 12-15cm (4,7- 6 inch) in size, has some shades of blue on the wings, walks in jumps like a sparrow, but it is not a sparrow.
It is a diurnal bird; I've saw it mainly during the day (more on that on the bird behavior forum :) )
Date of sighting : August, 01
Here is a quite poorly recorded video : http://youtu.be/c_MuTCcE9fk

What species can it be?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanx so much for your answers!
Do you know, by any chance, if these little birds usually fly at night?

Because for the past 2 weeks, I got them the entire night on my porch, either flying like a colibri, eating small insects around the light, or just standing there... the entire night.

(should I move this to be behavior thread?)

Hi,

Thanx so much for your answers!

Because for the past 2 weeks, I got them the entire night on my porch, either flying like a colibri, eating small insects around the light, or just standing there... the entire night.

(should I move this to be behavior thread?)

leave it here
they are breeding inside porches building their nests inside any open building
and they are using every available food source, like flying insects around a light, but normally they are active at daytime

I did suspect they have a nest somewhere very near, or they intend to.
I'm just afraid that they don't see very well during the night, and we do have cats that make regular rounds on the porch...also we have an owl that comes once per week, at exactly 4:30 in the morning, and eyeballs what I think to be a former/future nesting spot :)

A bit offtopic :)

But this is how I became interested in birds. In August 2007 I noticed some birds perching and flying in my yard. I wanted to know who they were. Soon I bought a telephoto lens. Those were Black Redstarts. After that I started learning more about birds.

As an aside - yes, Black Redstarts do fly at night when migrating. But they (like many other related birds) can also feed in quite surprisingly low light levels - it wouldn't feed in a natural dark night, but a bright street light (or home security light) is enough for it to find food by.

I can only assume it's the same bird.
I have video recordings of low quality so the only things in common that they have - that I can see - is the size and fact that they stand in one place and do squats :) .
I was never able to see them with my own eyes for long enough to be able to describe them.

Last edited:
Ok, noted !

And there are in fact 2 other winged visitors : one species of owl (which comes once per week, at exactly 4:30 in the morning) and another slightly larger than the Great Tit, but with far longer tail.

Here is the owl:
(animated gif here)

bufnita2.jpg

bufnita3.jpg

bufnita4.jpg

The ledge on which it stands on is about 11,5 cm / 4,5 inch wide

An the other one (other ones?):
(youtube video here)

croncanel.jpg

The deck piece on which it stands on is also about 11,5 cm / 4,5 inch wide

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back