• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintibird's 2005 List for Switzerland (1 Viewer)

wintibird

André Weiss
Opus Editor
Last update:28.10.2005: 225 species (goal 200, got it!). Lifers for Switzerland so far:15 (Snow Bunting, Lesser Scaup, Subalpine Warbler, Black-winged Stilt, Woodchat Shrike, Little Tern, Collared Pratincole, Melodious Warbler, Little Owl, Great Snipe, Fan-tailed Warbler, Blue Rock Thrush, Lesser Grey Shrike, Shore Lark, Brent Goose)

Divers
Red-throated Diver
Black-throated Diver

Grebes
Great Crested Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Little Grebe

Cormorants
Cormorant

Herons and Egrets
Little Bittern
Night Heron
Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Great White Egret
Grey Heron
Purple Heron

Storks
White Stork
Black Stork

Spoonbill and Ibis
Spoonbill

Swans, Geese and Ducks
Whooper Swan
Mute Swan
Bean Goose
White-fronted Goose
Greylag Goose
Brent Goose
Shelduck
Ruddy Shelduck (Cat. C)
Wigeon
Mallard
Gadwall
Pintail
Shoveler
Teal
Garganey
Mandarin (Cat. C)
Red-crested Pochard
Pochard
Ferruginous Duck
Tufted Duck
Lesser Scaup
Eider
Long-tailed Duck
Velvet Scoter
Goldeneye
Smew
Red-breasted Merganser
Goosander

Hawks, Vultures and Eagles, Osprey
European Honey-buzzard
Red Kite
Black Kite
Hen Harrier
Montagu's Harrier
Marsh Harrier
Sparrowhawk
Goshawk
Buzzard
Golden Eagle
Osprey

Falcons
Kestrel
Hobby
Peregrine Falcon

Grouses, Partridges
Ptarmigan
Black Grouse

Rails
Water Rail
Spotted Crake
Moorhen
Coot

Cranes
Crane

Stilt, Oystercatcher and Avocet
Black-winged Stilt

Coursers and Pratincoles
Collared Pratincole

Plovers and Lapwings
Little Ringed Plover
Great Ringed Plover
Dotterel
Grey Plover
Lapwing

Sandpipers and Allies
Red Knot
Sanderling
Little Stint
Temminck's Stint
Curlew Sandpiper
Dunlin
Ruff
Whimbrel
Curlew
Spotted Redshank
Common Redshank
Marsh Sandpiper
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Black-tailed Godwit
Snipe
Great Snipe
Jack Snipe

Gulls
Mediterranean Gull
Little Gull
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Yellow-legged Gull

Terns
Common Tern
Little Tern
Black Tern

Pigeons
Woodpigeon
Stock Dove
Feral Dove
Collared Dove
Turtle Dove

Cuckoos
Common Cuckoo

Owls
Barn Owl
Pygmy Owl
Little Owl
Long-eared Owl
Tawny Owl

Swifts
Common Swift
Pallid Swift
Alpine Swift

Kingfishers
Kingfisher

Woodpeckers
Wryneck
Black Woodpecker
Grey-headed Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Middle Spotted Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Larks
Wood Lark
Skylark
Shore Lark

Swallows and Martins
Sand Martin
Crag Martin
Barn Swallow
House Martin

Pipits and Wagtails
Tree Pipit
Water Pipit
Meadow Pipit
Yellow Wagtail
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail

Waxwing, Dipper, Wren and Accentors
Waxwing
Dipper
Wren
Hedge Accentor (Dunnock)
Alpine Accentor

Chats and Thrushes
Robin
Rufous Nightingale
Bluethroat
Black Redstart
Common Redstart
Whinchat
Common Stonechat
Northern Wheatear
Blue Rock Thrush
Ring Ouzel
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush

Warblers
Fan-tailed Warbler
Grasshopper Warbler
Savi's Warbler
Marsh Warbler
Reed Warbler
Great Reed Warbler
Icterine Warbler
Melodious Warbler
Subalpine Warbler
Lesser Whitethroat
Common Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Willow Warbler
Goldcrest
Firecrest

Flycatchers
Spotted Flycatcher
Pied Flycatcher

Long-tailed Tit, Bearded Tit, Real Tits
Long-tailed Tit
Bearded Tit
Marsh Tit
Willow Tit
Crested Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit

Nuthatches, Wallcreeper and Treecreepers
Nuthatch
Short-toed Treecreeper
Treecreeper

Orioles
Golden Oriole

Shrikes
Red-backed Shrike
Lesser Grey Shrike
Great Grey Shrike
Woodchat Shrike

Jays, Crows and Magpies
Jay
Magpie
Nutcracker
Alpine Chough
Jackdaw
Raven
Carrion Crow
Hooded Crow
Rook

Starlings
Starling

Sparrows
Tree Sparrow
Italian Sparow
House Sparrow
Snow Finch

Finches
Chaffinch
Brambling
Serin
Citril Finch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Siskin
Linnet
Common Redpoll (cabaret)
Common Crossbill
Bullfinch
Hawfinch

Buntings
Yellowhammer
Cirl Bunting
Ortolan Bunting
Reed Bunting
Snow Bunting
Corn Bunting

Visit my website: www.birdlife.ch/nvvwinterthurseen

Last edited:
After some birding in the lowland woods I cleared up with the woodpeckers and the recently arrived species like blackcap.
Very nice observation yesterday: Alpine Swift are back in town and are flying around their breeding sites. About 35 to 40 pairs breed in Winterthur. Spring has definitely arrived!

Very nice day with my first Subalpine Warbler (Sylvia cantillans) for Switzerland. It was a male, hopping around in a birch in the middle of the small town Sursee. After twitching this one, I went to a reserve nearby, where I had a couple of Common Redstarts (Phoenicurus phoenicurus) and a nice singing Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus).

Very hot outside, it seems as spring is directly changing into summer. After seeing my first Black-winged Stilts for Switzerland in March I missed the first ever Trumpeter Finch which was seen on 3 day near Olten. Blimey, I had to work and the day I could go the bird was gone.
First Cuckoos heard, Garden Warbler arrived and Swifts are crying in the sky. After my first Savi's Warbler for this year two weeks ago also Grasshopper Warbler arrived, heard them today. Nice Osprey passed through and in the middle of about 500 Black-headed Gulls a single Mediterranean Gull was a nice finding.

Good day yesterday with 13 new species for the list, including Woodchat Shrike as a first for Switzerland.
I was in the Fanel/Chablais de Cudrefin in the west of Switzerland, a very attractive area for birds. We had singing Corn Buntings, 3 Cattle Egrets just beside a Woodchat Shrike, a nice female posing.
Out of the hides in the centre we saw 2 Black-winged Stilts (my second sighting in Switzerland) and a Little Egret. Golden Orioles and Nightingales were singing all over and at the lake we also saw a Sanderling, a quite rare wader for Switzerland.

Visited southern Switzerland yesterday and spent a day birding in the sunny Tessin. I found a allnew species for me for Switzerland which was a Little Tern hunting over the Lago Maggiore. Wrynecks were calling, the bushes full of nightingales, orioles and red-backed Shrikes. I also visited the only known colony of Pallid Swifts in Switzerland (San Antonio Church in Locarno) and found a new species for Switzerland as well: Green Jay! A wonderful bird. Alas, I have very heavy doubts that this bird found its way from the Americas to Europe by itself, it's not even a migrant. So let's face it: an escaped bird (surely caged for its colours, not for its voice ). ;)

Made a daytrip to western Switzerland yesterday. Like Momo I saw the Collared Pratincole near Payerne, a first for Switzerland for me. I arrived at 8 a.m. and had to find the bird first. After 9 the crowd arrived as well. A wonderful bird showing itself perfectly!
I went on to Geneva, tried (again, like Momo) the Squacco Heron which was already gone. I went birding in the Champagne genevoise which was superb. Corn Buntings, Common Whitethroats, Rufous Nightingales and Common Stonechats were all common. I saw my first Melodious Warbler (they are very rare in eastern Switzerland), then my second and my third. Best of all was a Little Owl flying by. I tried to find here again, but failed. This cute owl is now very rare in Switzerland. Once widespread there are only a few pairs left around Geneva and in the Ticino.

Last edited:
Great Snipe

This morning I saw a Great Snipe at the Neeracherried, a place near my town. Most of the time the bird was hidden in the grass, but from time to time it came out feeding and was well visible. The bird was spotted yesterday and is the first twitchable Great Snipe we ever had in Switzerland (at least since we have e-mail and text-services as well).
Great addition to my year and Swiss List.

Last edited:
Finally the Alps

Spent a weekend in the alps and boosted up my list with species like Pygmy Owl, Citril Finch, Golden Eagle, Black Grouse and many more. We saw a good variety of alpine species and I achieved my goal of 200 species this year in Switzerland. Still I miss some easy ones like Dunlin which I should see on migration southwards. So 210 should be easy. Will see.

Fan-tailed Warbler and Blue Rock Thrush

Some nice addings during my summer holidays. First a Fan-tailed Warbler showed up at the Neeracherried, just 10kms from my hometown. He is still there, singing. They once colonised Switzerland in the seventies, but disapperad afterwards and are quite rare now.
At the Klingnauer Stausee I discovered a Marsh Sandpiper, which is rare during autumn migration. I also added the long-awaited Dunlin and a Spotted Crake to my yearlist.
Yesterday I went to the south again and found 5 Blue Rock Thruses in a quarry in the Tessin. About 20 to 25 pairs are breeding in Switzerland, most of them in the Tessin and some in the Valais. I don't count the Canada Goose which was in the Reussdelta or the two Bar-headed Geese at the Klingnauer Stausee. Both came to close and much to quick!

Waders

Added some waders today in the Chablais de Cudrefin, near Berne. We saw a group of ten Grey Plovers, which is quite remarkable for Switzerland. Two Red Knots joined in and among the Dunlins and Little Stints two Temminck's played hide and seek.
Also added the fifth owl this year, a Barn Owl (in a barn, of course).
Summer's leaving the country, the mountains are covered in snow already. Still planning to see Golden Plover this year in Switzerland, but usually November is the best month for them, so I just wait.

Shore Lark

Took a train yesterday to Yverdon and then to Six Fontaines (three hours), where I got out and had to walk up. Instead of 2h35 (given on the signpost) I reached the summit of Mount Suchet in 1h30, spent another 20 minutes of searching and then 2 hours of admiring my first Swiss Shore Lark. Splendid views in the evening light and sometimes very close. What a great bird.
Also added Ferruginous Duck some days ago, but still waiting for Golden Plover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back