• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem - Panasonic 100-300 MFT Lens (Panasonic H-FS100300) (1 Viewer)

rka

ttbirds
Just wondering if anyone has had the following issue with the Panasonic H-FS100300 lens. I have tested both on my MFT Panasonic G1 and the Oly OM-D E-M5.

Initially, the lens started to intermittently not autofocus at all. However with a few power down cycles, the AF would work once the camera remained on. So I would go through a routine on-off-on-off and keep the camera always on to use the lens.

The situation was worse on the Oly vs the Panasonic G1.

After not using the lens for a while, it seems as if the AF motor is not even engaging with either camera. So inactivity seems to have made the situation worse.

I think this is a startup issue with AF.

The lens was treated very well and is like new. Really hesitant in purchasing another based on this experience. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your problem,the only easy thing to try is cleaning the contacts,there is a solution you can buy but you would need to google it,i cant remember what it is.
It needs to be the pure form and a drop applied to a lint free cloth,some suggest you can use a clean pencil eraser but you must be careful no bits come off and go inside your gear.
I have been doing a lot of M4/3 research lately as ime going into that gear,I have not seen any reports of this lens being a problem so if it is faulty i think you have just been very unlucky.

Yes, actually did clean the contacts. I did a bit of research and a few others have reported a similar issue but the problem is not widespread at all. As you mentioned, probably just got one in a bad batch.

Sorry to hear about your problem,the only easy thing to try is cleaning the contacts,there is a solution you can buy but you would need to google it,i cant remember what it is.
It needs to be the pure form and a drop applied to a lint free cloth,some suggest you can use a clean pencil eraser but you must be careful no bits come off and go inside your gear.
I have been doing a lot of M4/3 research lately as ime going into that gear,I have not seen any reports of this lens being a problem so if it is faulty i think you have just been very unlucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back