• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

[England] Warbler? (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
I took this photo in August 2018 over a pond in Rainham Marshes RSPB. I suppose it might be some species of warbler?

Attachments

• P8270215_DxO_2.jpg
    P8270215_DxO_2.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 456
It’s a Phylloscopus Warbler, either Willow Warbler or Chiff Chaff, can’t be certain as to which?

Cheers

I think Willow Warbler was a better option. The "white outer tail margins" is a photo effect I think, no white on tail for me. Head pattern is wrong for the wagtail, tail is realy too short... etc.

I was looking at photos of Yellow Wagtails online, and the tails seems to be spread wider. But maybe it's selection bias.

The tail is bent away from the photographer, so it is longer than it looks in the photo, and too long for Willow Warbler; also too much contrast between the white under-tail coverts and black central tail feathers. So I'm with Yellow Wag.

I was looking at photos of Yellow Wagtails online, and the tails seems to be spread wider. But maybe it's selection bias.

First impression, without opening image was a wagtail. But when I did, head pattern was all wrong so must be a warbler!

100% Phyllosc? Really?

Not that it is really necessary, but there is a further clue in the wing formula, with primaries 2,3 and 4 being pretty much equal in length....

Attachments

• YellowWag_darkened.jpg
    YellowWag_darkened.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 283
100% Phyllosc, some people are inconsiously influenced by the yellow colour of the bird and the open habitat.

I'm only seeing a wagtail here. Compare the wing shape, especially the way it broadens along the trailing edge towards the tertials-very characteristic of a wagtail wing.

A phyllosc would have more compact and delicate proportions overall, as can be seen in the two images of a Willow Warbler in flight on the left. Wagtails have proportionately longer bodies, more substantial and longer bills etc. Tail length looks a perfect fit for Yellow wagtail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 00.57.04YW.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 00.57.04YW.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I'm only seeing a wagtail here. Compare the wing shape, especially the way it broadens along the trailing edge towards the tertials-very characteristic of a wagtail wing.

A phyllosc would have more compact and delicate proportions overall, as can be seen in the two images of a Willow Warbler in flight on the left. Wagtails have proportionately longer bodies, more substantial and longer bills etc. Tail length looks a perfect fit for Yellow wagtail.

Nice comparison photo that proves, if needed, that op bird is a Willow Warbler. Shape, including wing proportions, and head pattern is diagnostic.

Compare especially with lower right bird in similar position how forearms and tail are both much longer in YW, as an easy start if any doubt remains.

Don't know why I have to repeat this since Killian has already made the point, but the wing point is 2=3=4 which rules out any phylloscopus let alone WW. WW has a wing point 3 (4 slightly shorter) or, 3=4, 2 being 4-7mm shorter.

And, contrary to what you are saying Valery, Steve's nice little montage proves beyond doubt that it's a Yellow Wagtail. Really, it's not that difficult!

Grahame

I found another shot of this bird. Apologies for even worse quality. This time, the tail looks quite long IMHO.

Attachments

• P8270217_DxO.jpg
    P8270217_DxO.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 328
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back