Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best compact camera

Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 04:43   #1
John silvex

Best compact camera

First of all my english is not that great, sorry for that.
In a few weeks i'm going on vacation to the alps (skiing) and i want to take some nice photo's but not with my smartphone.

I want to buy a compact camera.

Wich one should i buy for shooting in the mountains?
Do you know other (better) good compact camera's?
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 09:05   #2
Apodidae49

Quote:
Originally Posted by John silvex View Post
In a few weeks i'm going on vacation to the alps (skiing) and i want to take some nice photo's but not with my smartphone.

Have a look at Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 (or 82) or FZ1000 or 2000. These have massive optical zooms and are Bridge Cameras (look like a DSLR but more compact with a smaller sensor and no interchangeable lenses)

I’ve had Olympus, Canon and Panasonic bridge cameras and like the Panasonics the best.

Hope this helps.
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 09:22   #3
stanacko

Quote:

Hi
The cameras the other guy mentioned are compact cameras but are quite big and heavy I use them I also use one which is small and is also a Panasonic TZ90 and is about the size of a mobile phone and would fit in a top pocket also has a good zoom which I think would be more suitable. Have a nice vacation.
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 09:32   #4
Apodidae49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanacko View Post
Hi
The cameras the other guy mentioned are compact cameras but are quite big and heavy I use them I also use one which is small and is also a Panasonic TZ90 and is about the size of a mobile phone and would fit in a top pocket also has a good zoom which I think would be more suitable. Have a nice vacation.
To the OP: There’s always a big compromise between size and function with cameras. If you want a pocket camera the size of a mobile phone then you’re not going to get great bird photos but landscapes and snaps will be good.

Sony make a compact with interchangeable lenses that might suit the main criterion, which seems to be size.
Old Saturday 22nd September 2018, 17:04   #5
Telephoto Paul

The Sony RX100 range is popular although they don't have particularly long telephoto reach compared to other options.
Old Friday 28th September 2018, 02:51   #6
John silvex

Haha, I came here to be correct, thank you very much for your recommendation. After these days of thinking, I finally chose The Sony RX100. This article says it is a good choice. https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-bu...mpact-cameras/
Old Friday 28th September 2018, 05:31   #7
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Haha, I came here to be correct, thank you very much for your recommendation. After these days of thinking, I finally chose The Sony RX100. This article says it is a good choice. https://thedigitalcamera.net/best-bu...mpact-cameras/
The Sony RX100 line is excellent, very solid performers with class leading technology in terms of focus and video.
I'd suggest the RX100 VI if you're going to be in the mountains, because it offers an excellent 24-200 mm zoom, albeit at a higher price and with a somewhat slower lens than the RX100 III you're considering.
The main risk with any of the RX100s is that they are not at all weather sealed, so it is perilous to use them in the wet or in snow. These are little jewels, stuffed with lots of electronics, they demand careful treatment, as they are not readily repaired.
The Canon G1X III is weather sealed and gives at least as good an image quality as the RX100 VI, but has a much shorter 24-72 mm zoom, at about the same price.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: