• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moltoni's Warbler and Rock Partridge sites. (1 Viewer)

Ian Lewis

aka Gryllo
Europe
Hi, I'm off to Austria and Italy for two weeks leaving on 6th July. It is mainly a family holiday but I will get some birding in. I have two main targets, Rock Partridge and Moltoni's Warbler. I know the former is difficult but I have an Austrian contact who says he can take me to a good area, but any other sites would be appreciated as back up.

I know Moltoni's Warbler (formerly a race of Subalpine) occur throughout the Po Valley in northern Italy but I lack any specific information. Can anyone help. We are intending to stay somewhere to the south of Turin but this can be changed if necessary as nothing is booked.

If I get these two species then I will have seen all the breeding birds of Europe (somewhere in the world, using IOC taxonomy) so the stakes are quite high!

Ian

It's a while ago now (September 2005) so things may have changed; after arriving on a late flight (headed into the Italian Dolomites for some via ferrata) bivvied in a roadside parking area on the SP347 west of Chiesa (try entering 46.343461, 12.099295 on Google Maps - I don't know how to add a link) & was woken at first light to a great view by a pair of Rock Partridge calling just down from the top of the ridge that I then flushed down the scree slope.

Can't help with the Moltoni's Warbler in Italy although if you miss out try Cuber Reservoir in the Traumontana range on Mallorca.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back