• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (5 Viewers)

I think the color works just fine Ed! And thanks for the closeup. Whether you use drips or slabs of paint I think it's obvious that you do love painting.

just dropping in- much as I am jealous of thick paint painting in others, I'm sure the way forward for my doings is thin/wet with a bit of thicker on top

but I have just acquired a palette knife with a mean edge shaped like the sort of thing you might see in use on a whaling ship

so as a try out, here's a throwback to the unresolved backlit teal project

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2407 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2407 copy.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 60
Fab. Love to see what's happening on the surface here. I suppose the big question will be - how to bring the detail required for the bird to meld with the looseness of the knifework? Or will you go for the knifed teal, I wonder? Very exciting.

the big question will be - how to bring the detail required for the bird to meld with the looseness of the knifework?

that's the question alright- much as I enjoy browsing through them Threlfalls with bird painted with same blockiness and knifeyness as the background I don't think I can resists fiddling about a bit with brush to shape the bird

this weekends work in progress will present the same conundrum (no birds yet) to be mudscape with roosting waders, so some decisions to be made

also a quick splooshy Shelducks doing their thing

last one seemed an apt photo for the weekend - pintail with island and fir tree in shape of big breaking wave, taken on the Sendai coast in 2005

Attachments

• q9 550 rns layout DSC_2412 copy.jpg
    q9 550 rns layout DSC_2412 copy.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 56
  • q9 550 shelduck DSC_2417 copy.jpg
    q9 550 shelduck DSC_2417 copy.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 56
  • q9 550 pintail sendai copy.jpg
    q9 550 pintail sendai copy.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 67
Great drawing in the shelducks piece and mudscape coming along very nicely. Just been back to the backlit teal and my feeling now is that maybe no more needed. Just that faint descriptive line of light identifying where the bird is, is enough?

Mudscape looks gretat already Ed, the pink tones really bring it to life, great use of colour as always...shelduck also bursting with colour...
Interesting image with the Pintail, the tree arching over the scene is remarkable...

fantastic little trio! The first one I scoured for a bird for ages, then found one - then read what you'd written and realised that it wasn't a bird at all! Look forward to seeing what bird does go in. The shelducks are just wonderful, a pure expression that celebrates these gaudy birds.

The pintail is a truly remarkable chance photo, very poignant with its Hokusai motif.

The textural, colourful, abstract mudscape is already pretty special. Looking forward to the addition of a birdy point of interest.

Mike

hello all

first sunny Saturday for ages and rest of family up in town: so I should be up and out..

but before shooting out the door I have had a first shot at arranging and blocking in the waders in the mudpiece- the overall mood intended to be things perking up as the tide falls, rather than anything more frenetic

not sure how much detail they will carry yet- the idea is to give them recognisable scapular patterns, highlit tramlines and what have you, so we shall see how that all goes

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2425.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2425.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back