• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owls (1 Viewer)

Richard W

Spent many evenings this week watching local Barn Owls making regular trips to a nest box on the farm where I live/work, today the farm foreman told me he had seen a bird carrying food to a line of Oaks approx 1/2 mile from the box site.

didn't seem likely to be the same bird as I know where the others spend most of their time hunting so Just been to have a look and watched a bird make three trips with food to a hole in an old Oak, so is almost certainly a second nest site, so now got two Barn Owl nests on my doorstep o:)

all those years of putting up boxes really seems to be paying off, although we hoped there might be a chance of a second pair on the estate this is the first time I've been sure since we first discovered them nesting approx 7 yrs ago, over the moon!!!!

There is a pair of Barn Owls nesting on my local patch, too!!! Been up most nights this week watching them and they appear to be getting used to me. They're comfortable flying closer to me as they were nervous at first..... bliss.... sheer bliss.....

although I'm very careful to avoid disturbing them it amazes me how tolerant they are, I've often had them flying right over my head, give me a quick glance and carry on past.

lucky enough to have been able to watch them here for many years but watching them hunting and flying back and forth is still one of the most magical sights for me, had a really bad day today and finding the second nest was just what I needed, like you say, sheer bliss.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back