• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Licence To Shoot UK Endangered Birds (1 Viewer)

Silver Narwhal

United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've just read a report that sheds light on a very disturbing decision to grant licences allowing for the shooting of a number of endangered bird species within the UK.

The website of Jason Endfield, a 'blogger and environmental campaigner' has a lot more information on this pretty disturbing decision. http://www.jasonendfield.com/

The attached image also shows the list of birds.

Attachments

• species_listed_forlicense.jpg
    species_listed_forlicense.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 73
I recall that licences are occasionally granted in cases where something like a robin has got into a supermarket or food warehouse, has to be removed for hygiene reasons, and other attempts to get rid of it have proved unsuccessful. I'm more concerned about seeing buzzard, red kite & peregrine on the list.

And yet as a nation we're quick to highlight other countries that hunt and trap birds, albeit on a massive scale, for various reasons. How can some of these species be on this list, beggars belief.
I cannot imagine Bullfinches feeding on the once expansive fruit orchards of Kent, Eastern England or Northen counties.
Hypocrisy in so many ways.

As mentioned above the small passerines are almost always single birds that have pose a hygiene risk in supermarkets and the like.

The licence also covers nest destruction and bird of prey nests on electrical pylons have been destroyed under licence.

Twice... and

Red Kite?

Finch? ???

Under FOI, can we obtain the justifying arguments?
MJB

I think we ought to be able to unless perhaps they try to block it as advice to Ministers (but my guess is that Ministers don't approve each and every application). It ought to be possible to gain access to both the application (which ought to state the reasons for the application, surely?) because that becomes part of the official record of the case, and the casework in which the relevant public servant justifies approving the application.

I think the general principle is that you can have any document that you ask for: I'm just not sure how precisely you have to specify it. I'm not an FOI expert.

At a minimum there must be an application and a written approval that went back to the applicant for their files (and of course for their protection later!) I don't think the law anticipates that you have to be able to quote the date or reference, just a reasonably accurate description of the document you want. "Document" includes electronic records.

John

I recall that licences are occasionally granted in cases where something like a robin has got into a supermarket or food warehouse, has to be removed for hygiene reasons, and other attempts to get rid of it have proved unsuccessful. I'm more concerned about seeing buzzard, red kite & peregrine on the list.

Thanks for that Stuart, a red mist was descending there for a moment...

I agree about the BOPs.

Preventing serious damage to Agriculture - Moorhen? Really?

Something specific maybe - cress beds or something perhaps?

As with the commentators on the NE blog post, I would seriously doubt that all avaiiable non-lethal options have been thoroughly explored in many of these cases. A bit of lateral thinking, education or spending some money perhaps ... ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back