• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking at eclipse??? (1 Viewer)

Im with you.....using bare eyes and a 1950s era Leitz 7x50....temp is around -1 here so only stepping out for a minute or so....sky is crystal clear....

Last edited:
Hello Chuck,

At 15ºF, or -13ºC, I cannot watch for long periods. I have seen the start of the shadow moving across the lunar disk. Now, I am going to look at the eclipse reach totality with my 7x50. My major problem is that the moon is close to the zenith.

P.S. I just returned from seeing totality. It was a real thrill to see the copper colour over much of the lunar disk.

Clear skies,
Arthur :hi:

Im with you.....using bare eyes and a 1950s era Leitz 7x50....temp is around -1 here so only stepping out for a minute or so....sky is crystal clear....

Hello Gunut,

Are using a Marsept or a Marseptit. In either case, it would be a fine glass.

Clear skies,

Thin cloud layer here on southern California coast. Watched for a while with B&L Mark 28s, then switched to Trinovid 8x32s. Not much moon showing right now.

I got pretty good looks with my 7x42 UVHD and my girlfriend was taking photos with the Panasonic FZ1000 I got her. Cool stuff...

Justin

Hello Gunut,

Are using a Marsept or a Marseptit. In either case, it would be a fine glass.

Clear skies,

Pinewood;

using a center focus Marseptit…..thought about digging out a 8x60 late war Marocto IF ….but naaa the 7x50 did fine

Dave

Last edited:
A bit cloudy at 5:40 on the Balearic Islands, but great sight nonetheless. Bare eyes was good, binoculars were better, but scope was best ;)
I remember when I first saw the Galilean moons around Jupiter with the small scope I use for birdwatching, and then reading in awe that Galieo Galilei saw them first back in 1610 with a x20 telescope of his own invention. I wonder what could have Galileo do if we travelled back in time and handed him a humble Opticron MM3 60 and a x45 eyepiece :brains:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2019-01-21 a las 10.58.29.png
    Captura de pantalla 2019-01-21 a las 10.58.29.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 105
Hi all,
Well done.

Here it was mainly cloudy in the early hours, and I didn't see much, although I have seen numerous lunar eclipses.
One was so dark that the Moon was almost invisible.
It depends on the positioning of the Moon relative to the Earth and cloud cover on the Earth.

In the U.S.A it was at a more friendly time.

Minus 2C here. (15F is minus 9C, i.e. quite cold).
Wind here northerly 2 knots. Cloud broken 3,000 ft 1024 hPa. visibility 5,000m haze.

P.S.
yarrellii, nice photo.
Nearly any scope is better than Galileo's very long single glass objective scope.

Some people see Jupiter's moons without optical aid.

Last edited:
Nearly any scope is better than Galileo's very long single glass objective scope.

Can you imagine Galileo's face if someone gave him a pair of current top-of-the-range Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica/etc.? Now that would be something inspiring :) I wonder what the transmission figure of his telescope could be...

The transmission of Galileo's scope was possibly 80%.
I think that his original scope had only two pieces of glass.
A single element objective and single lens eyepiece.

I think that doublet objectives came in the early 1800s. (Correction. Chester Moore Hall c. 1730 invented first doublets. Kept secret and pinched by Dollond who patented it).
Huygens are two element eyepieces. (Invented late 1660s).

Even Herschel used single ball glass eyepieces giving extremely high magnification.

As scopes got larger in the 1600s they became enormously long aerial scopes with no tubes, as CA became impossible with shorter focal length single lens objectives.
Although transmission was high, unless it was pitch dark, which it never is, light intrusion must have been great.

Last edited:
It was GREAT here in Alabama! Sky conditions were perfect....cold for US in the mid-20s. Probably one of the best ones I've seen. I couldn't use the binoculars on a tripod as the angle was pretty close to zenith. But I braced several on my porch post and was able to get an excellent view. SV 10X50 stole the show!

I missed it since I don't stay up that late. But I did look at Venus right before dawn and I believe
Jupiter was below slightly to the right. Tomorrow morning those two planets should be in conjunction and closer
to each other. I'm just starting out with astronomy. Bought a beginner's book last week. I don't know what I'm doing yet, but will treat it as a more casual hobby compared to birding and take it slow. Not staying up late doesn't help, but there are still things to see early evening and before dawn. I had a telescope as a kid and learned some
stuff, but don't have a good ability to retain info. It's fun to learn and use binoculars for different observations.

Hi,

The eclipse was perfect and very clear skies. Had to bring out the Canon IS 15x50’s for this one. With the bright limb edge it was almost seen as being 3D !

Doug...

Attachments

• 431F7102-0F96-4C41-9D0A-35F86B80EC30.jpg
    431F7102-0F96-4C41-9D0A-35F86B80EC30.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Can you imagine Galileo's face if someone gave him a pair of current top-of-the-range Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica/etc.? Now that would be something inspiring :) I wonder what the transmission figure of his telescope could be...

I can see it now ...

First look through the Zeiss ... "what's this miserable green color cast!", then he
spikes it to the ground.

A look through the Swaro ... "what's this sickening panning motion !" , then he
throws it against the nearest tree trunk.

Finally the Leica .. "what's this ghastly color fringing!" , then he punts it into the pond.

Back to his scope ... "ahhh they don't make them like they used to..."

I can see it now ...

First look through the Zeiss ... "what's this miserable green color cast!", then he
spikes it to the ground.

A look through the Swaro ... "what's this sickening panning motion !" , then he
throws it against the nearest tree trunk.

Finally the Leica .. "what's this ghastly color fringing!" , then he punts it into the pond.

Back to his scope ... "ahhh they don't make them like they used to..."

:-O:-O

Cloud cover got thicker as the eclipse progressed. Not much to see unfortunately. A little glow here and there as it progressed. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back