• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aculon vs Action EX (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I was in the one camera store here (Indianapolis) for other things this morning and since I've had no luck with 7X42" porros I checked out these two. Is it just me or does the Aculon seem to have a brighter sharper view than the Action EX. I was comparing 7X35's and it was very bright and sunny so not the best test but I was impressed very much for an under a hundred dollar bin. Any one have thought's on this.
Steve

Got a chance to have a look at the Aculon 7x35 today. I liked it a lot. Couldn't get the full FOV with glasses but closer than I would have guessed. What there was I thought sharper with a bigger sweetspot than the Yosemite clones I've tried. It is somewhat heavier than those but still lighter than the Action EX 7x35 which I have yet to try.

David

I have the 10x50's and like them a lot for stargazing. I think they give a really clear, sharp view in the sweet spot and have tried them birding and see lots of fine feather detail etc.

Love the colour rendition of them also - great value for the price you can pick them up at.

Aculons

Sorry Steve, can't give a comparison to the EX, but I too am finding out just how good the Aculons are. Started with a 7x35 and being so impressed, I now have a 10x42 as well, and think both are amazingly good for the money!

Though I will say that the first 7x I had wasn't as good optically as my second, so there might be some variation out there, as is the possibility for it in any binoculars. Still, very worth the effort of trying them out-they do deliver where it counts.

As David said, not the best for eyglass wearers though, but good to hear it might be manageable for some anyway.

The purpose of the AEs is usually a flatter field with sharper edges...

To try the idea of 10x42s for land and astro use, I got 10x42 Acculons.
In store comparisons with the EX Action Extreme 10x50, the main difference was the AE
had better edges, both for fuzzing and vignetting. The AE 10x50 is popular for night sky.
However, the peak sharpness on the 10x42s seemed better, so I grabbed those...I wanted to downsize.

At night it became more obvious why the 10x42 Acculons seem so 'clear':
the contrast is extremely good. They have very low grey level and good glare suppression
for the night and the shade. I see more subtle details. The focuser is slower than many
binoculars...I really enjoy that. It's much easier to get the finest focus. The arms are
composite plastic. They do flex, but they don't see-saw and they are springy, fortunately.
Just don't mash them into your eyebrows.

So...there are field-edge issue, but the majority of the view is very sharp and 'contrasty'
(richer colors, more subtle shading). Looking into dark woods or the edge of the Milky Way is
a distinct experience for that price level. You just need to be a bit less fussy about the edges.

Last edited:
Sorry, true...that may be the physical purpose. I was fixated on the optical.
It's popular in sky-watching circles because of the optical difference. That's their 'purpose'.
The optical difference has been explained to me a number of times, to explain the difference in price
(since waterproofing occurs at many prices), and I have witnessed a difference at the store.

If you compare Action EX to the Action model the difference in view is even more obvious.
So...the EX is not a waterproofed Action, it's something more.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back