• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If Carlsberg did french roads.... (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Out for an after lunch drive today in the Narbonne area up to Vendres plage.
Lesser Kestrel in one of the towns (Fleury), then onto the beach for a picnic. First Bee-Eater of trip, Slender Billed Gulls, Little Terns and Sandwich Tern. I guess not bad for appetizers.

I fumbled my way through the vineyards and clocked a Roller - I spent a couple of minutes faffing with the car (narrow road) then getting the camera and trying to get a good picture - would have been easier if I had looked in the tree above my head for the mate - too late - did get (I think) a distant Ortolan - will need to review that when I'm back at base.

Anyway, found the road (in the title) I had tried, in a thunder storm, a couple of days ago. Within a couple of hundred metres the story begins with the target bird a Lesser Grey Shrike (a bird I haven't seen for a long time) which turned into a pair! I was parked next to the bush with Ortolans on previous visit, over the back a pair of Purple Herons drifted by, on the wire was a Tawny Pipit, the tree to the right and vines in front some Rock Sparrow, a Melodious Warbler to the left and a Stonechat behind and Fan Tailed overhead. Turtle Dove and a then a Bee-eater as I set off again then another Roller, Cirl Bunting and Woodchat Shrike. So I guess within 200metres had some pretty good species. Amongst commoner stuff of-course!

I guess there are better roads but this was 'self' found and full of pretty special birds - can't imagine what you could find with some time in this area!

I headed back and threw up a Hoopoe in the next town then White Stork (not many breed in this area) and a Great White Egret (again not many round Gruissan this time of year).

Great couple of hours with an ice-cream at the end of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back