• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for Scope and Camera (1 Viewer)

barnetbirds

Hi All
As it says above really. I have a Nikon D90 with a 300mm lens and also an Opticron GS52ED Scope.
I have been reading the threads on Tripod/heads, quite a few of them were nearly 3 years old and I know there are so many 'new' innovations going on all the time. Don't need top of the ladder makes just a nice reasonable 'combo' or separate tripod and head, like the idea of a fluid head, I know they are dearer, just like the idea of one, or a good pan and tilt.
I am on the small side in Height, just, and I mean just, 5ft. The weight of the D90 with lens is approx. 2 1/2 lbs and the scope is approx just under a pound...in weight that is.
Also my wife is going over to New York in a few weeks!! Is there anything I could get over there??
I always use local traders but just this once I thought I would get her to get me something!!
Many thanks for your help/advice
Terry

Just my opinion but I would optimise your tripod for your scope as it will be far more demanding than your camera and lens.
Firstly forget weight ratings as they are meaningless! What you need is the most rigid tripod that you can both afford and carry. I am biased (because I use them!) so I would point you towards a Gitzo tripod - unfortunately, these days, they are hideously expensive! They are worth it but most of us mere mortals can no longer justify their prices. More to the point there are now some very viable alternatives. Two of my friends have the Feisol Tournament tripods - these two:

http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/9-tournament

They are very good, reasonably stiff, remarkably light and not silly money. I prefer the 3 leg section version but either takes a lot of beating at the price. I also like some of the larger Sirui tripods but they may be a bit bigger and more expensive than what you are after - but still well worth a look.
Look long and hard before you decide and don't be afraid to spend a fair bit of money as it is far cheaper, in the long run, to get the right tripod in the first place rather than buy cheap and be disappointed - then have to upgrade - been there and got the Tee Shirt!

Agree entirely that scoping is where a tripod shows its stuff.
Fortunately the OPs scope is no monster, so an affordable light weight tripod/head setup such as the Velbon Ultra 455 should serve.
This packs pretty small, which is nice when travelling. The earlier version Ultra Maxi works well with the Velbon PH 157 pan tilt head for my ED50.
Do note that a ball head is much lighter than a pan tilt, while still very usable.

Hi,

yes, I'm quite sure that some good options are available at the usual suspects adorama or bhphoto - I have visited both when there and selection and service were impressive - just remember in the store you pay roughly 9% NYC sales tax on top.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back