• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

El Planeron sandgrouse hide (1 Viewer)

Ddack

Hi there, i have just been told of a hide for photography at el Planeron zaragoza, that has a constant stream of water fed to it that attracts pin tailed and black bellied sandgrouse to drink, also used by all the larks. This is meant to be a 3 person hide at ground level which is close to the water. Is this hide accessible to just turn up and use or do i have to book to use it? Where abouts on the reserve is it situated as ive been 3 times before and never seen it. Any information is greatly appreciated.

It was fully open and free to access when we were last there in 2017. It would be a cosy three adults, it's stiflingly hot in warm weather and there were lots of flies.

It's not too hard to find. Drive straight down the main access track from the Belchite side and it's on the right after perhaps a kilometre. Look for an area that looks like it gets more irrigation than the rest of the site. From (unreliable) memory I've a feeling that it's after a set of ruinous buildings off the road on the left. There are few buildings in this area.

We only saw Stone Curlew here but the bugs were unbearable so we didn't stay long. It's only a couple of hundred metres from the main track but as far as we could tell there was no way to get inside without passing the front of the hide, where the water is, potentially flushing any birds that might be present.

We've been several times. You can't actually see any water. It's more of an overgrown pond. Great reserve though you might have to work for some species. Hopefully someone else might be able to provide better or more recent info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back