• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald Eagles in Maryland (1 Viewer)

SLRShooter

Nikon user - D300, D1X, 9 lens, SB-800, and many b
One place that is visited by a lot of birders in Maryland who like to shoot the majestic Bald Eagle, is the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River. It is less than 30 minutes North of Baltimore and just South of the Pennsylvania border.

Many of the birders on Nikonians.com and NikonCafe.com frequent Conowingo and you can see a lot of their bird shoots there. When the Hydroelectric company opens the gates to generate electricity, fish go through the gates and are stunned by the drop. The Eagles then swoop in and grab the fish.

If you need better directions, let me know.

Norm

I've been there and it is amazing to see the number of eagles and other raptors in one place. This trip, made about 2 years ago, really go me interested in birding. I'm planning on going back some time this winter to take some photos. The only gear I had at my disposal during that first trip was a 4MP Canon P&S digital camera and a pair of 10x25 Nikon Sportstar bins. I was very envious of all the others there with their Nikon & Canon DSLRs and large telephoto lens. I'm sure there were some digiscopers there as well but I didn't even know what that was at that time. Certainly a trip worth taking.

Good luck Bob. Please let us know what you see. I'd like to make a trip down there in the next few weeks if I can manage it.

BTW, I saw this pair on the Cooper River in Camden, NJ two weeks ago. A stroke of fortune as they truly weren't expected.

I also saw my very first Golden Eagle at Forsythe NWR near Brigantine, NJ this past Saturday. No pictures unfortunately.

Please keep us posted. Best of luck tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCF1115_edit_1_8x6.JPG
    DSCF1115_edit_1_8x6.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF1070_edit_1_8x6.JPG
    DSCF1070_edit_1_8x6.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 315
I was at Conowingo Dam this morning. There were about a half dozen Eagles, but they were not very active. One finally landed in a tree on the west side of the river and stayed there for about 30 minutes. There was one angle I could get an unobstructed view (I think - post processing will tell) for a photograph.

That's my backyard. While crossing the dam one afternoon, I looked over and there was an eagle flying right at eye level with me. No pics. I was driving! Also, where I work in Aberdeen, there are bald Eagle nesting sites everywhere. We are not allowed to take cameras there though. So, I take my binocs And enjoy them. The Ospreys and hawks too!

One place that is visited by a lot of birders in Maryland who like to shoot the majestic Bald Eagle, is the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River. It is less than 30 minutes North of Baltimore and just South of the Pennsylvania border.

Many of the birders on Nikonians.com and NikonCafe.com frequent Conowingo and you can see a lot of their bird shoots there. When the Hydroelectric company opens the gates to generate electricity, fish go through the gates and are stunned by the drop. The Eagles then swoop in and grab the fish.

If you need better directions, let me know.

Norm

Afternoon my parents live in Maryland can you provide a few more directions to this site please I plan to visit when next over
many thanks Neil:t:

Apologies resurrecting this thread but would now / January still be a good time to visit the Conowingo / Dam area?

Or has this window closed for this year?

Thanks.

Apologies resurrecting this thread but would now / January still be a good time to visit the Conowingo / Dam area?

Or has this window closed for this year?

Thanks.

It's definitely a good time to go there. There haven't been that many eagles there so far, but later in the winter as things freeze up north it will push them south.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back