• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS 65 refurbishment? (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I have an old and battered ATS 65 I bought from someone in the birding group I was in a few years ago. It’s now pretty battered and has a dent in the barrel/armour coat, so it could do with a bit of an overhaul. I emailed Swarovski and they’ve sent me a form to complete and then send that with the scope to their UK office in Surrey.

I have a couple of questions - firstly, do they carry out repairs in the UK or send it on to Austria? Secondly, does anyone have any rough guesses as to costs before I send it? I know it depends on what they do but any guesses at a general tidy up and removal of the dent in the armour?

Cheers, The GA

Hi TGA,

Swarovski have the best reputation for after sales service.

I think that it will be sent to Austria.

I don't think that they will overcharge, but I suppose you could ask the cost.

Wait till other experienced Swarovski users comment here.

Regards,
B.

Assessment, report, estimate and repairs are all taken care of in Austria. That's the way it has been for many years. The UK based staff is primarily for marketing, publicity,sales and handling returns.
No idea of costs.

P

Sensible decision .

I am stuck having sent an 8 x 32 back 4 weeks ago for a sticky focus and clean ,( they had a lot of use over the last 8 years ), still the best Bins I have ever had .

Fingers crossed they will turn up any day but not holding out much hope.

Does anyone know how optics are transported to Austria ? Road or Air ?

Andy

Hi all, I have an old and battered ATS 65 I bought from someone in the birding group I was in a few years ago. It’s now pretty battered and has a dent in the barrel/armour coat, so it could do with a bit of an overhaul. I emailed Swarovski and they’ve sent me a form to complete and then send that with the scope to their UK office in Surrey.

I have a couple of questions - firstly, do they carry out repairs in the UK or send it on to Austria? Secondly, does anyone have any rough guesses as to costs before I send it? I know it depends on what they do but any guesses at a general tidy up and removal of the dent in the armour?

Cheers, The GA

Send the scope off to the address that they supplied in Surrey. They will then send it to Austria and will give you a quote for the cost of repair. It is then up to you whether you want to go ahead with the repair. If it decided that it is a manufacturing fault then there will be no charge but if you have damaged it then there will be a cost.

Sue

I recounted my experience of Swarovski customer service in reply to another thread, but it is worth restating here if anyone is in any doubt of just how good they are at Swarovski. My 1992 {D624413161) 7x42 SLCs fogged in one barrel and I got in touch with Swarovski. I was told the procedure for returning for fixing and duly sent them off to their Surrey base. I had several emails keeping me updated including one telling me that the repair would be free. When they arrived back they were unrecognisable from those I sent off. Swarovski had taken it upon themselves to replace, housings, lenses, coatings, focus wheel and armour. And a new strap to boot. Now absolutely amazing to look through! I can't imagine they keep a pot of legacy coating for older bins so I suppose they must have some incarnation of Swarobright on them now. A vast improvement anyway. Marvellous service considering how long I've had them. Hope you agree. Cheers

Similar experience with the 20 x 60 zoom which came with my secondhand ATS. Lens had fungus spots. Sent back to Austria via Surrey and returned within a fortnight in pristine condition with no charge. I should say that the lens was by definition secondhand when I purchased it and I didn't have a copy of the original purchase receipt.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back